Voit LP72s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People give me tanks like that all the time. My dive shop gives me 72’s but they are the painted ones, any galvies they keep and re-sell.
People think they are outdated and junk and give them away. I just jeep my mouth shut and let them dump them on me. Yeah, they’re REAL JUNK alright! …Wink nod.
I have a whole gang of them. One of the best, if not THE best tank ever made for beach diving.
Eric, you can only dive them one or two at a time. Why would you need so many?

Eric, you can only dive them one or two at a time. Why would you need so many?
Well, at one point I thought if I ever went up to the coast camping out and diving I would need at least two tanks per day. There is no dive shop up there anymore so you have to bring whatever you need.
But more recently I realize that if I did go up there it would be for a couple days, maybe three max, and I have way more tanks than that. So you’re right, why do I need all those tanks, and the answer is I don’t.
In 2017 a friend of mine and his son lost all their dive gear in the first Northern California megafire (Tubbs fire), so I gave them each a steel 72, a backpack, and a MK5/109 w/ a gauge to go with it.
More recently another friend of mine want’s to get into local diving so I’ll sell him two tanks just for what I’m in them with hydros.
And I’ll still have enough tanks to go away for a few days.
Too many tanks also gets to be a hassle with hydros and VIP’s. Not to mention storage.
It’s easy to start hoarding so it’s important to self reflect and come to your senses once in a while.

Whoops. Hit post by mistake.

Voit has been absorbed by Mares. Their MR-12 regulator still exists in modified form as the Mares Abyss.
Sort of. What actually happened is that both companies were among the myriad that were accumulated by AMF from the late '40s to the late '70s. AMF eventually decided to phase out Voit's scuba lines, including the MR-12, in favor of Mares.

When AMF fell apart, Mares ended up as part of a group of former AMF sports divisions lead by Head. Mares continued to develop the MR-12 for another decade and continued to sell it into 2015.

The MR22 (aka Abyss) was Mares' own design. It does share some internal parts with the MR-12 including the HP valve (poppet) and replaceable orifice (seat), but it's not really an evolution of the MR12. All of their subsequent first stages have been based on the MR22.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom