Voit LP72s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vickasaurusrex

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently acquired these twinset steel tanks, which I think are vintage. If anyone has any insight, that'd be greatly appreciated.

1) What do the markings mean?

On tank #1:

ICC3AA2250
VOIT
2C68+PST

On tank #2:

ICC3AA2250
VOIT
2C68+PST

Here is my initial assessment based on discussions with local dive shops, but please correct us if mistaken --

1st line: ICC = Interstate Commerce Commission; 3AA = federal DOT code; 2250 = service pressure in psi
2nd line: tank serial #
3rd line: manufacturer
4th line: tank birthday i.e. born Feb 1968

2) What happened to Voit as a company?

Thank you!

1683395399859.jpeg
1683395416925.jpeg
1683395426369.jpeg

Line one: ICC (Interstate Commerce Commission, later became DOT) 3AA (Design spec they fall under) 2250 (rated service pressure).
Line two: unsure, but suspect you are right about serial numbers.
Line three: VOIT (seller... they never actually made tanks, but marketed them)
Line four: Initial Hydro test stamp from the factory, the + indicates they were qualified for %10 overfill (2475 psi), PST is the Pressed Steel Company (the actual manufacturer).

Those are what many of us refer to as old school 72's (71.2 cf at their + rated capacity). If taken care of, they last forever... hardest part of owning them is finding a hydro facility that will + stamp them, or a shop that will fill to what you want (I run mine at 2800 psi as singles, making them a true 80 at a lower weight and less buoyancy than an AL 80).

Good score!

Respectfully,

James

Nice!

I'm not sure about the "C" in the manufacturer date. I think it might be another symbol there that would be the manufacturer. A clearer picture of that "C" with the marker removed would help identify the maker I think.

Nice tanks either way. As singles they are great tanks that dive really well. Very comfortable. Nice find👍.

Actually I might be wrong about the manufacturer. Somebody will chime in shortly..

PST might have been the Pressed Steel manufacturer.

A tank made by Norris would have an "N" in a diamond where your "C" is.

The second picture slowing the C looks like there may be an L inside the C. Maybe the original qualifier of the tank and PST was the manufacturer.

Those will probably kill you, I can swing by and pick them up for proper disposal.
Adding more background context here --

• Tanks are within hydro and visual
  • Valves, manifold, and bands all brand new
  • Used regularly by another diver in my community, but they are moving and didn't want to ship them - which is how I ended up with them

Adding more background context here --

• Tanks are within hydro and visual
  • Valves, manifold, and bands all brand new
  • Used regularly by another diver in my community, but they are moving and didn't want to ship them - which is how I ended up with them
Yeah... You totally scored on those!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom