What is this tank code??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a used tank for sale, but the seller is unsure what kind of tank it is. The code on the bottle is:

DOT - 3AA 2400 Department of Transportation-steel spec(3AA) psi rating (2400)
1A 657760R serial number

TC 3AAM184 Transport Canada steel spec (3AA) 184 bar rating
111 A98REE80 11A98 is likely the correct number 11= month A=Arrowhead/hydro tester 98/year of mfg REE/ Reject elastic expansion for plus rating
11-984

From my limited knowledge the tank is a Steel Low Pressure. But how many cubic feet??

Not all the numbers are there. Faber's manufacturing number is missing M8303

Measure height without valve and then around/3.14 for diameter

Last edited:
"My guess would be that "111 A98 REE80" is "11A98 REE80" where the "A" is an with a arrow in it symbol for the company that did the initial hydro test (Authorized Testing) with 11-98 being the date it was done. "REE 80" is the elastic expansion limit in cc's for the tank. "

the A is not for Auhtorized testing but the mark for Arrowhead who does the testing for almost all scuba cylinders
The visual inspection references I have show it as the symbol for "Authorized Testing". It is actually a smaller T inside a larger A.

Don't take my word for it, check out the logo on their website - look familiar?

Authorized Testing - Home

The DOT requires tanks be initially tested by an independent tester and Authorized Testing does a lot of this testing.

The visual inspection references I have show it as the symbol for "Authorized Testing". It is actually a smaller T inside a larger A.

Don't take my word for it, check out the logo on their website - look familiar?

Authorized Testing - Home

The DOT requires tanks be initially tested by an independent tester and Authorized Testing does a lot of this testing as per DOT documents.

I was a distributor for Luxfer, Faber, and Worthington cylinders. Arrowhead Industrial was the independent tester for all of these. see http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfile.../Files/Manufacturers Spreadsheet Dec 2008.xls

Arrowheads logo http://www.arrowheadltd.com/hydraulic.htm

That is indeed the Arrow head logo, not the Authorized testing logo. What's your point?

What you are looking at is a Pressed Steel (PST) LP95 or LP104.

PST used this mark on their cylinders:
"IA
81"

If you look at the photo on Ebay you can see the standard PST font and style of lettering on the cylinder. It is difficult to tell the height from the photo, however. If there were a better angle (or if the seller could list the height) we could tell you exactly what cylinder it is.

Just a few other things that hint to the size:
My PST LP80s are REE 66.3
Faber LP95s are REE 73 (and occasionally REE 71)
Worthington 119s are REE 91 -- same physical size as LP95s but rated to 3442psi instead of 2640psi. Note that at the higher pressure, the REE will be greater.
Worthington 130s are REE100.
PST 130s are REE 112.2 -- again, they are 3442psi and not 2640psi.

By a bit of reasoning you can see that the cylinder in question is larger than LP80s, and has a similar REE number as Faber LP95s (albeit slightly larger).

If someone out there with a PST LP104 or LP95 wants to run and go check out their REE number that would be quite helpful...

I found out the dimensions of the tank are....26" Tall to the bottom of the Valve and 25 1/2" Inches in Circumference

PST LP95s are 24.75" tall, and LP104s are 26.88" tall, according to this chart.

Looks like you might have an LP104, assuming they measured somewhat accurately.

Pic on ebay shows original hydro stamp as 11=98 +. The plus meaning the tank can be filled to 10% over the rated pressure of 2400psi to 2640psi. Good luck finding a place that will hydro the tank and give it the plus rating. Most shops don't do the plus rating when doing a hydro. This is probably an 80 cf with the 10% over fill.

You would think that with the REE number stamped on the tank, testing for the '+' rating would be trivial. The shop doesn't even have to think!

If a tank originally had a '+' rating and the REE number is well documented, there is no reason in the world for a hydro test facility to not test for it. The tank may not pass the '+' test but that's a different story.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom