What is this tank code??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9supratt4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I found a used tank for sale, but the seller is unsure what kind of tank it is. The code on the bottle is:

DOT - 3AA 2400
1A 657760R

TC 3AAM184
111 A98REE80
11-984

From my limited knowledge the tank is a Steel Low Pressure. But how many cubic feet??

I found a used tank for sale, but the seller is unsure what kind of tank it is. The code on the bottle is:

DOT - 3AA 2400
1A 657760R

TC 3AAM184
111 A98REE80
11-984

From my limited knowledge the tank is a Steel Low Pressure. But how many cubic feet??

The only two ways I know of to calculate the cubic foot capacity of a cylinder are as follows:

-record diameter, height, and service pressure of tanks. Ask around.

-take the valve off, fill the tank with water. Pour that water into a rectangular box and calculate its volume in the formula V=L*W*H

If it looks like an aluminum 80 but only slightly shorter, it is probably a steel 72. If it looks like an aluminum 63 only a little smaller, it is probably a steel 50. It cannot be that old with a 2400 PSI service pressure, so it's not that obscure.

BTW the DOT codes are for the U.S., and the TC ones are for Canada. 3AA means they are steel (you know that already), and the numbers following are usually the serial number of the tank, the lot, or the exemption or manufacture code (depending on the years in which they were made). It also looks like there is some hydro information mixed in there, if those are the oldest stamps, then it was first hydro'd in 1984, which means it in all liklihood a steel 72 or a steel 80.

DOT - 3AA 2400 -- 3AA = Chrome Moly Steel - 2400psi operating pressure
1A 657760R

TC 3AAM184 - 3ALM = Chrome Moly Steel (metric) 184bar operating pressure
111 A98REE80
11-984

Looks like the original hydro date is Nov 1984. It also looks like you don't have all the numbers off the tank.

I agree some of the numers do not look right.

My guess would be that "111 A98 REE80" is "11A98 REE80" where the "A" is an with a arrow in it symbol for the company that did the initial hydro test (Authorized Testing) with 11-98 being the date it was done. "REE 80" is the elastic expansion limit in cc's for the tank.

Faber is about the only company that has consistenty put the REE number on their tanks, so the odds are good it is a Faber tank. If you post the dimensions of the tank (height and diameter) I can look it up on Faber's website and tell you what it is.

So there is no way to tell how many cubic feet the tank is from these numbers??

Pic on ebay shows original hydro stamp as 11=98 +. The plus meaning the tank can be filled to 10% over the rated pressure of 2400psi to 2640psi. Good luck finding a place that will hydro the tank and give it the plus rating. Most shops don't do the plus rating when doing a hydro. This is probably an 80 cf with the 10% over fill.

So there is no way to tell how many cubic feet the tank is from these numbers??
Not for sure.

The odds are it is a 95 cu ft tank as that is one of the most common Faber tanks with a 2400 psi service limit.

"My guess would be that "111 A98 REE80" is "11A98 REE80" where the "A" is an with a arrow in it symbol for the company that did the initial hydro test (Authorized Testing) with 11-98 being the date it was done. "REE 80" is the elastic expansion limit in cc's for the tank. "

the A is not for Auhtorized testing but the mark for Arrowhead who does the testing for almost all scuba cylinders

Back
Top Bottom