What is the right thickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

troyce1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, im new here.

I am a very experienced snorkeler, and my fiance and I are just getting our scuba certification.

We are looking to buy some wetsuits and are not sure if we should get a 5mm full suit, or a 3mm suit to start and add a 5mm or 7mm shorty to give us versatility.

We are located in MD so will probably be doing quarry diving except when we go to the carribean and our honeymoon in Belize this fall.

Please advise me on what would be/work best.

Thanks!

Hi, im new here.

I am a very experienced snorkeler, and my fiance and I are just getting our scuba certification.

We are looking to buy some wetsuits and are not sure if we should get a 5mm full suit, or a 3mm suit to start and add a 5mm or 7mm shorty to give us versatility.

We are located in MD so will probably be doing quarry diving except when we go to the carribean and our honeymoon in Belize this fall.

Thanks!
A 5 mil will be inadequate for most diving in your area. ...I get chills just thinking about it!

Of course everyone's different; however, I get cold very easily, and I wear a 5 mil in Hawaii. And a 3 mil full suit will be perfect for Belize.

All the best, James

Finding the right exposure suit for quarries can be a bit tricky. Every individual gets cold at different points. Unless very shallow, fresh water has a nasty habit of having thermoclines (abrupt temperature changes). Salt water can have them also, but in a lot of waters dove recreationally, it's not usually as noticable. The temperature can change about 15o F within a few inches at one of these thermoclines. I have about 150 quarry dives & my local quarry ranges in depth from a wade- in entry to 115 ft. At the warmest time of the year, the surface to about 30ft can be 85+o F. There is usually 3- 4 thermoclines going down to the bootm. At 60 ft & deeper it is 420 F year round.There's really no one secret as to how thick of exposure protection to wear. You need to wear exposure protection suitable for the depth & conditions you are diving. I personally wear a 3mm wetsuit & when it becomes too cool for that, I have a drysuit with undergarments of different thicknesses. To start, You may want to try a 5mm as fdog suggests, but I would go 1 step further & get it in a 2pc or farmer john/jane & jacket. That way you have some layering (you'll have 10m across the torso when both parts are worn together), but you can also just wear the farmer john, jane or the jacket portion, if you wish, for warmer waters. In the end, you'll probably have to have multiple wetsuits to handle all the temperature changes that could take place in a quarry. I'm not trying in any way to scare you off from quarry diving, just being up front about the temperature changes that are common. Something to keep in mind as you look for your exposure protection, is that the thicker the layers you wear, the more weight you will require to get down.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Belize and the local quarry are worlds apart as will the correct exposure protection.

Quarries and fresh water in general have very severe thermoclines with depth. If you have done local skin-diving in these bodies of water you have gotten a taste of the first thermocline, frequently in the 18-20 foot range. In general you can expect several more as you descend and it's not hard to get well down into the 40s F. In other words despite the warm surface water it is cold water diving. That generally means 7mm with 2X on the core. Progressing to dry suits, especially to extend the season is logical. In your area there can also be some good use for a 5mm suit but I would add that latter as an intermediate option.

As for Belize if your snorkeling experience was there wear a little more since you will be fully immersed and out of direct sun contact. Also scuba diving is much less dynamic and you will generate less body heat. Lastly repetitive dives over consecutive days will sap you of thermal energy so don't short sheet yourselves.

More on exposure protection here.

Pete

For local diving, I'd go with a drysuit. For most of the Caribbean, I like a 3mm full suit, although what I like doesn't necessarily translate into what would be good for you. Unfortunately, it's really a personal preference.

Also, there are no "warmth" standards in wetsuits. I have a 3mm full suit that was a no-frills suit that is tremendously colder than my Pinnacle Merino 3mm suit that has a big thick rubber pad running down the spine, as well as neck, wrist and ankle seals.

Terry

When I dive in dutch springs I use either a 7mm farmer john set up or a drysuit, when in aruba i use a 3mm fullbody wetsuit. it all depends on the time of year and depth, but b/c you are ow certified in a quarry you'll hit 'bout mid to low 40's during summer time at the bottom maybe warmer, in dutch. in aruba during december time the water is 'bout 75-80 pending how deep.

Obviously there is the weight issue of getting a thicker wetsuit, but if i get a 7mm full and a 3mm shorty. Will i be too hot diving in the 7mm in belize?

At this point in the diving game, I would rather have 1 overkill suit and buy more later than rather have one that lacks.

I was also looking at a 5/7 but was still worried about the lack of protection on my arms and legs.

What everyone's telling you is one wetsuit won't work for both MD and Belize. No "might" work, they are completely different conditions. Diving a 7mm in Belize you run the risk of overheating, uncomfortable at a min, passing out underwater is a realistic possibly as well. You might think of buying the right wetsuit for local diving and renting when you travel.

At this point in the diving game, I would rather have 1 overkill suit and buy more later than rather have one that lacks.

I was also looking at a 5/7 but was still worried about the lack of protection on my arms and legs.

Buy a 3mm full suit for the Caribbean. You can find them online for $140 or less. Wait a month and you'll forget all about what you spent.

Then go buy something appropriate for your local diving.

You can't do both with one wetsuit.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom