What is the purpose of PADI Junior Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any thing we can do to keep teenagers, active, engaged and willing to learn and accept more personal responsibility for their own well being is something we should support. As a young Boy Scout, I always ways thought the entire venture was ridiculous, it took me several years as an adult to begin to grasp the potential value of the activity

I wondered about the point as well, then I looked a bit further.

I guess there is a small contingent of enthusiastic divers needing or wanting access to the leadership skills provided by the DM course beyond that in the Junior Rescue course. It’s no different than a high schooler taking on coaching duties. My daughter did that in her senior year but wasn’t an adult yet. The team still needed an adult sponsor but she, along with another adult coach, were in charge in all respects. This was a fantastic experience for her.

Without the junior DM, the ability to access that level of leadership training wouldn’t be available. I respect that the Junior courses are basically the same requirements as the normal course, as if the kids can demonstrate, as they well can, the same skills and pass the same exams as adults, they deserve to have access to courses that can keep them challenged and build valuable confidence and skills.

I believe one of the things I read elsewhere was that beyond turning 18, a Junior DM needs to redo the water skills timed to upgrade to be a fully fledged DM, but everything else is the same.

I believe one of the things I read elsewhere was that beyond turning 18, a Junior DM needs to redo the water skills timed to upgrade to be a fully fledged DM, but everything else is the same.

I only saw two places offering it during my quick google, and both were in the UK. It says that it will help pass the DM requirements once the divers turn 18, not that any of it will count toward a DM qualification. The elearning might be the only exception, but that would probably depend on how long a completed elearning is good for, as well as if it counts if the student started it prior to being 18.

So my understanding is they would have to do a full DM course. It would just be easier since they have done most of it before.

I'll admit my first reaction is "What? That's dumb!" but the more I thought about it, the more I like it. Again, it is just more training. That is never a bad thing. And if they are teaching things like situational awareness, decision making and understanding the legal arena of instructional diving, I think it could be an awesome class for those mature enough to take it.

"Once you turn 18, to upgrade to a full divemaster, you will need to do so within 36 months of your training. The EAP, search and recovery scenario and mapping projects all count, but you will need to redo all exercises (this time, timed) and skills, as well as assisting on live training."
from: PADI Junior Divemaster Course - Scuba School Ltd - PADI 5* IDC Dive Centre

(EAP seems to be Emergency Action Plan)

Will there eventually be a Junior Course Director able to create Junior Instructors who are then able to create Junior Divemasters? Inquiring minds want to know.

Waiting for the Toddler Scuba Diver. Some of my grandkids will love it!

Will there eventually be a Junior Course Director able to create Junior Instructors who are then able to create Junior Divemasters? Inquiring minds want to know.

Waiting for the Toddler Scuba Diver. Some of my grandkids will love it!
Yes there will. Also a junior CEO rating. They have a board game in bookstores. Lots of ways to keep young active minds engaged. Isn't it great!

All of them are assisting roles, with an adult the main actor. But they get to play a more active role and understand all the parts that are involved.

They get to do dive site set up and management, give a dive brief under supervision and community outreach. They do not get to lead dives.

First, I am not sure I see why people seem to be objecting to people that age getting that kind of training. If people can explain that, I would appreciate it.

Next, I hope everyone understands the benefit of making such training a part of an approved program. It is the reason why you as an instructor want that cool class you created recognized as a distinctive specialty--liability protection. If you create a program on your own and teach it on your own, if there is an accident on a dive, the burden will be on you to prove that the course requirements were safe and within accepted limits of scuba instruction. If you create a program on your own and get it approved by a dive agency, if there is an accident on a dive, you can point to that approval as evidence that the course was within accepted limits of scuba instruction, and the plaintiff will have a very hard time proving you are wrong.

I can see this for those high schoolers involved in marine biology.

I know at least of 2 that have trained with my dive instructor for their class requirement.

First, I am not sure I see why people seem to be objecting to people that age getting that kind of training. If people can explain that, I would appreciate it.

Next, I hope everyone understands the benefit of making such training a part of an approved program. It is the reason why you as an instructor want that cool class you created recognized as a distinctive specialty--liability protection. If you create a program on your own and teach it on your own, if there is an accident on a dive, the burden will be on you to prove that the course requirements were safe and within accepted limits of scuba instruction. If you create a program on your own and get it approved by a dive agency, if there is an accident on a dive, you can point to that approval as evidence that the course was within accepted limits of scuba instruction, and the plaintiff will have a very hard time proving you are wrong.

Yea, yea ... we get it. Really do. It's just that there is no end to the atomization of scuba training. It is what it is. It's not just PADI. They may have started it but all agencies do it to one extent or another. As someone not "in the business" I'll just shake my head. There is no end to this really. I can't fathom where training will be in 20 years but I can guarantee that (1) we wouldn't recognize it and (2) it won't be any better or safer just different. I blame the lawyers and the legislators.

@boulderjohn, brace yourself, you are not going to believe that you are about to read. :rofl3:

Honestly, I love it. This is an additional path that kids can do before the age of 18 where they can potentially (but not necessarily) obtain some good experience and knowledge. If done right, there is certainly value to be obtained here.

I hope other agencies follow suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom