What is the proper procedure for adjusting my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know the proper procedure for adjusting my mask to my face so as to avoid leaks? Each time I switch back and forth from dry and wet hoods I need to adjust my mask straps, and never get it right the first time. Please don't tell me to buy a second mask. There must be a way to adjust it right the first time, each time I change diving suits.

I guess all I can say is you need to get used to the feeling of it when it works. Start off with the strap over extended - so it is too big for your head (only just though) then put the mask on and pull the straps, it may help if your snorkel is not attached at this point. Once you have pulled the straps, run your fingers around your head in between the strap and your hood/head in order to allow the strap to have the same amount of friction all the way round and you should be able to feel if it is gonna work or not.

When you get it perfect try to remember how tight it feels on your head and that is what you are aiming for next time you put it on and adjust it

For a properly fitting mask, the strap is redundant during the dive. It's real function is to keep the mask on your head (or around your neck) at the surface.

You should focus on making sure that your mask really fits your face.

I'm with fisheater. I've had dives where the isolator on my manifold has slowly pushed the mask strap up until it's floating over my head, but my mask doesn't leak or come off. For a well-fitted mask, the strap is really useful for jumping in; otherwise, it's just insurance.

That said, a strap that's too TIGHT can make a properly-fitted mask leak. So I'd say if you are going to err, err on the side of having the strap a little loose. It's easy to snug it up if it's necessary.

I found out what my problem was.

I was placing the mask strap on top of my head instead of behind my head.

Now I have almost no more leaks.

Thought I share.

Reactions: Jax
The strap isnt there to adjust fit the strap is only there to hold it to your head in a current or something along those lines. Idealy you should be able to use the mask without the strap if it fits right. You can try using a slap strap instead of the silicone strap that comes with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom