What is the oddest thing you've found on the bottom of the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a quarter on a 50ft reef off Ft Lauderdale in 1997. I had just descended straight down and was waiting on the group to follow. I looked down and right below me was what I thought to be a piece of treasure (the whole 25% larger issue, plus some marine growth). Turned out to be just a quarter.

Probably many of the NW divers around SB know about it but I was amused the other day as I did my AOW deep dive to see a fire hydrant sitting perfectly upright (seemingly ready for use) in probably 30' of water (didn't check my depth to know for sure) near the Mukilteo T-dock.

The thought flashed through my mind of whether it was actually connected to something but I couldn't imagine anyone (even in city govt) doing something that crazy. Anyway, in case anyone has a fire underwater there, there's a non-zero chance you will have an additional water supply to put it out. :)

I hear there is the fiberglass front end of a Corvette out there as well that moves with the currents but didn't see it.

This was well before I started scuba diving, but back in the '80s I went on a week long trip to the BVI's with my family. We had rented a boat and sailed from island to island. One of the islands we stopped at, it couldn't have been more than a couple hundred feet across, had a vw bug sitting in about 20 feet of water. I thought it was odd since there wasn't there wasn't anyone living on the island, and even if they were, why would they need a car. Oh and a close second was on the same trip. Snorkling around the bath's and seeing my first naked swimmer. I was probably 10 or 11 years old at the time and quickly grabbed my older brothers arm as we made a beeline to get closer to the swimmer. Unfortunately my dad saw the same thing and quickly caught up to us and made us turn around before we could get a good look at her :eyebrow:

Ummm 2 weekends ago, I found a white golf ball in about 33 ft under some kelp while I was looking for lobsters in Gloucester....

I know.. Its boring... But I noticed a white shimmer out of the corner of my eye and thought "that doesn't belong here". Boy those golf balls sure look bigger underwater!

Friend of mine found a drowned cow!!! don't ask how it got there we still want to know. Also finding toilet seats makes u laugh too.

Always descending,
c.h.

One day at Coral Street in No. Cal, we came around the corner and there was a pair of new blue jeans...a little further on was a microwave oven, and more stuff, a can opener, calendar, more and more. Upon surfacing we noticed a lot of activity nearby. A boat was sinking and the Coast Guard was there rescuing the family!

That poor family's boat became a nice dive site for the rest of the summer, and you wouldn't believe all the stuff divers were "salvaging" that year.

Patti

Well I haven't found anything strange as of yet, but, I did have have the luck to run across someone fishing, and as they were reeling in, the hook caught my glove. Talk about luck that it didn't actually penetrate the glove all the way.

A while back, a woman on a boat in the Boca Raton Resort and Club Marina dropped an envelope with $1000 in cash into the water. The harbormaster radioed me at the pool to see if I could find it. There were 50 dollar bills floating around everywhere under that boat and I found every last one. I gave them all back too. The woman never even said, "thank you." I should have kept the money!

Back
Top Bottom