What is the future of the oceans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello -

I am writing the outline for a documentary called "FUTURE OF THE OCEANS." The documentary will examine what our oceans would look like in the next 75 years. I am hoping to gain some input and make some possible interview contacts through this post. If there is anyone who can shed light on these issues ...

1. How would map of the world change? Are there places that can go under the sea due to rising sea levels?

2. Would the oceans have less life? Which species would go missing?

3. What is the future of the reefs? How much of these would we loose and from which areas

Anything important that does not fall into the above questions, i would love to hear.

I have to discuss this proposal with my boss and would love to get some solid facts as well as interview contacts from where I have obtained these facts. Any and all input would be appreciated.

Cheers -

Sinbad

Given that the oceans are considered as "the common" by most nations, I do not have a lot of faith that the self-interest of individual countries will be over ridden by the need to maintain healthy oceans in view of over harvesting, habitat destruction, global climate change, species extinctions (mostly human caused), etc.

I will not be around in 75 years, and fortunately started diving early enough (early 60s) to have gotten some idea of what the oceans were like before the exploitation really got intense. My grand daughter will be (with any luck), so my concerns are for what she and other descendants will see.

There have been some accomplishments over the last 100 years or so... the recovery of the California sea lion and northern elephant seal, the recovery of the California gray whale, the apparent recovery of the giant sea bass (Stereolepis gigas), etc. However, the overall trend has been towards decline in species and overall health of many of the ecosystems of the ocean.

Despite my pessimism,. I work daily to try to correct these problems and to educate the general public about the need to minimize our impacts and to conserve and protect our oceans. More or less follow Gary Snyder's statement from the late 60s or early 70s "Knowing that nothing need be done is where we begin to move from."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom