What is the difference between Scubapro and Halcyon regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

China and Taiwan can make quality products when the company doing the contracting requires them to do so. But they are also willing to put out any crap that will generate a profit if no one demands quality of them.

China and Taiwan can make quality products when the company doing the contracting requires them to do so. But they are also willing to put out any crap that will generate a profit if no one demands quality of them.
I’m sure they can produce quality when demanded, at least in machining and assembly.
However, what about quality of materials? What guarantee do we have that all the components are of spec grade? I’m familiar with their standard for grading stainless, there is none. When you think you’re getting 316 it could be anything. They aren’t held to any spec when they make alloys, they can do whatever they want and we just have to take their word for it.
But more to the point of my question, what happens when their governments end up in conflict and we are caught in the middle?
All these cheap goods that we’re addicted to all of a sudden aren’t such a great deal or unavailable.
Something to think about.

I’m sure they can produce quality when demanded, at least in machining and assembly.
However, what about quality of materials? What guarantee do we have that all the components are of spec grade? I’m familiar with their standard for grading stainless, there is none. When you think you’re getting 316 it could be anything. They aren’t held to any spec when they make alloys, they can do whatever they want and we just have to take their word for it.
But more to the point of my question, what happens when their governments end up in conflict and we are caught in the middle?
All these cheap goods that we’re addicted to all of a sudden aren’t such a great deal or unavailable.

The companies that truly want to succeed offshoring to China (PRC) basically need to establish an office in China staffed mostly by Americans to oversee manufacturing, material sourcing, and QC. You need to assume that every supplier and contractor will screw you just to make a buck because they will if given the chance, as there are few legal avenues to get recourse. That substantially reduces the cost savings from that venture which only the largest companies can do that.

Taiwan isn't as bad, but you still need to make regular site visits, and QC your products before packaging and shipping.

Now don't think I am an advocate of overseas manufacturing, in fact I am the opposite I greatly favor on shoring. Just want to point out that they can make quality when tasked to do so.

When and if China goes to war, posting on SB about regulator quality won't be your primary concern.

What you have stated above regarding the guarantees and specs is true for all manufacturers - any business will attempt to reduce costs wherever possible. American cars circa 1970s, anyone?

In any case, buy Halcyon. Good stuff. Don't worry about Taiwan.

Back
Top Bottom