What is the difference between Scubapro and Halcyon regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lt CHEG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am wanting to add a Subapro Mk17 setup to my collection for colder water, and eventually ice water diving. I’ve not had a problem with my Mk25 in water temperatures as low as 40 but I would like to have a diaphragm regulator for really cold stuff. I love Scubapro regulators, and 2 of my 3 preferred dive shops sell and service Scubapro so it’s really easy for me as well to continue using them. I’ve all but settled on a Halcyon Infinity BP/W setup to replace my jacket style BCD, and while researching Halcyon I’ve discovered their regulators too. It appears to me that the Halcyon H75- P is an identical regulator to a Mk25, while the H50-D is an identical regulator to the Mk17. However they’re both about $100 cheaper, so I’m considering purchasing the Halcyon first stages instead. Are there any differences between the Halcyon and Scubapro? Does Scubapro make regs for Halcyon? Are any of the parts different? Should any Scubapro shop be able to service a Halcyon first stage? Any reason I shouldn’t save $100 and buy the Halcyon? I’ll stick with Scubapro for the second stage as I really like my 620 second stage on my Mk25 and will probably just add another 620 to whatever first stage I end up with. Thanks in advance for your insight.

I think that Halcyon used to source regulators from SP many years ago but now they source SP look alike regulators from a Chinese regulator manufacturer. They aren't SP regulators although they look like SP regulators.

MODERATOR'S EDIT:
At this posters request, he notes that this information is not accurate, and that the coming is in reference to another manufacturer, NOT Halcyon.

I think that Halcyon used to source regulators from SP many years ago but now they source SP look alike regulators from a Chinese regulator manufacturer. They aren't SP regulators although they look like SP regulators.
Thank you very much for that information. I prefer not to buy Chinese whenever I can help it so I will likely just spend the extra $100 and stick with Scubapro. Thanks again for the info!

I may be wrong but I believe the MK25 and likely most if not all SP regs are made in Italy. You may want to check the manufacturing source for Halcyon. I have the MK25/S600, Knighthawk BCD, and Definition wetsuit and have no regrets. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a premium. Enjoy the purchase and dive safe!

I may be wrong but I believe the MK25 and likely most if not all SP regs are made in Italy.

Where is the machining factory?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom