What is the difference between Scubapro and Halcyon regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@buddhasummer is selling all of his precious g's and everything else and will be using the TFX only from now on (or when they catch up in production) 🤠

Not me. I need parts compatibility. I can mix, match and use the same basic parts for my Conshelfs, Titan LX. Core and Legend. I can use the same basic parts for my 109, 156, G250 and G260. If I were to jump to Atomic then I need yet another set of parts that I have none of and are possibly more difficult to acquire any of. And the soft purge cover and silicone exhaust tee will tear or turn to goo. And I have been phasing out AL and going all in on Scubapro so jumping on the latest and greatest Atomic, not likely and especially given the price and it is not even pretty.

I do like the TFX first stage. But I would prefer a titanium Mk 25 Evo again for parts compatibility with my existing two Mk 20s (converted to Mk 25 specification by Scubapro kit with SB).

Rotate it and see if it turns even, between end and case, bet it doesn't 😂
It turns as it’s set, nothing more than a plug, if it’s pushed in straight it’s sits straight.
IMG_8298.jpeg
IMG_8297.jpeg

the soft purge cover and silicone exhaust tee will tear or turn to goo
The soft purgecover issue happened with one B1 regulator I bought in 1997 and it was upgraded to a B2 and cover replaced cira 2006 and never had an issue with it since or with the around 10 Atomic regulators I own, nothing at all. No issues with exhaust tees of any kind at all.

Not me. I need parts compatibility. I can mix, match and use the same basic parts for my Conshelfs, Titan LX. Core and Legend. I can use the same basic parts for my 109, 156, G250 and G260. If I were to jump to Atomic then I need yet another set of parts that I have none of and are possibly more difficult to acquire any of. And the soft purge cover and silicone exhaust tee will tear or turn to goo. And I have been phasing out AL and going all in on Scubapro so jumping on the latest and greatest Atomic, not likely and especially given the price and it is not even pretty.

I do like the TFX first stage. But I would prefer a titanium Mk 25 Evo again for parts compatibility with my existing two Mk 20s (converted to Mk 25 specification by Scubapro kit with SB).
I’m pretty much in the same boat. I’m mostly all SP and some older AL (conshelfs w/ metal seconds)
Atomic doesn’t really move me at all. @tbone1004 had a really good point, why is it OK that Atomic is made in Taiwan, but brands like Hog, Deep 6, and DGX which are also made in Taiwan right down the street from Atomic, it is not OK?
With this line if thinking I would consider buying a DGX Gears Xtra piston reg set and see what it’s all about. The price is sure right and DGX sells parts kits galore to the customer, as many as you want.
If my SP parts source ever dries up this could be a viable option,
just sayin’

I’m pretty much in the same boat. I’m mostly all SP and some older AL (conshelfs w/ metal seconds)
Atomic doesn’t really move me at all. @tbone1004 had a really good point, why is it OK that Atomic is made in Taiwan, but brands like Hog, Deep 6, and DGX which are also made in Taiwan right down the street from Atomic, it is not OK?
I have nothing against Atomic except I am too far into the AL and Scubapro boat now to switch everything over. And there is the parts issue, where do we get parts for them?

As to where things are made, Taiwan is fine, I do not care. The difference is that main line manufacturers hire engineers and do their own development and have their own production lines in some cases all or in part. Imported box factory brands farm out the design work and spec their desires and then purchase the clones or copies. So in a sense it is the same but it is not the same. Maybe it is not an issue, I do not care really. I look at features and I am not seeing the features on most that I value, for a couple, a hard cover and a solid purge button and glass fiber composite cases for durability and another no soft or rubber or silicone exhaust tees either. I am not going to purchase any more soft purge cover regs if I can help it, but never say never :wink:.

Back
Top Bottom