What is the cost to get OW certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSam

Sister of Shenanigans
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My neighbor and her boyfriend want to get OW certified so when they go on vacation they can scuba dive. She asked me how much it would cost, and given it's been 14 years since I got OW, I could not answer her questions. I could not give her a guess as to how much it cost me.

Anyone have a ballpark estimate on how much OW certification costs these days? They don't own any equipment so would need to rent gear for the class.

Thanks in advance.

It really depends on where the training is taking place. Where I am in NC, thru my LDS, SDI OW costs $350.00 which includes the books, entry fees to the quarry where the training takes place, and all equipment rentals.

Highly variable from place-to-place and shop-to-shop and agency-to-agency. Count on $350-500 (or more). If you're speaking strictly of Florida, I wouldn't know

It really depends on the extensiveness of your class and the cost of living in the area. I got certified in Madison, WI and the distant suburban shop there charges $350 for two days of classroom, two days of pool, and two days of checkout dives. I now live in Chicago and a near-suburban shop charges are $750 for classroom, five pool sessions, and checkouts.

This is probably the high end since I live in a high cost of living area, but my favorite shop, Dive N Trips, charges $576 including rentals, but that (like most places) doesn't include "personal" equipment of mask, fins, boots, and snorkel. So probably $700 all told.

Yes, it varies, but the price range given is right. Here it's maybe $450 Canadian. Our shop provides all the equipment for the course except you have to already have (or buy) fins, mask & snorkel. That package here is maybe $200?

My neighbor and her boyfriend want to get OW certified so when they go on vacation they can scuba dive. She asked me how much it would cost, and given it's been 14 years since I got OW, I could not answer her questions. I could not give her a guess as to how much it cost me.

Anyone have a ballpark estimate on how much OW certification costs these days? They don't own any equipment so would need to rent gear for the class.

Thanks in advance.
In the Tampa bay area, it's about $350 for tuition at the naui shop (bill jackson's) and $420 for tuition at the SSI shop (mac's sports). You also have to pay for a boat ride (or park entrance, if shore dive) to complete your OW checkout dives. There's a plethora of other shops affiliated with other agencies in the area but you get the general idea. The only certification I've seen that costs significantly more is extreme exposure/GUE but that's up in YOUR area rather than mine. You can find independent instructors for less on Craigslist but I am not sure I'd trust the lowest bidder.

Both shops provide all gear except mask/booties/fins/dorkel.

The total/all in cost is likely going to be $500-600 per person (including personal gear). Could be cheaper if they opt to do OW dives somewhere that doesn’t require an access fee or charter cost.

Keep in mind that even if they intend to rent equipment, they still have to buy “personal gear.” I did not see a single shop or independent instructor locally that didn’t require people to purchase that. Ex. Mask, fins (boots if applicable), and snorkel. Depending on how much they want to spend on that stuff, that’s ~$200/ person.

Politely point out that if they go out and buy bargain basement personal gear (ex. Fins) hoping to save a buck, they’re just going to end up spending more money when the fins break within 20 dives (my case) or the snorkel pops out of the crappy plastic retainer (my case).

On personal gear...it might not be a bad idea to just buy used stuff off Craigslist, sanitize it thoroughly, use that to see if they’re even interested, resell it if they get the bug, and buy “good” stuff at that point.

500ish. The shop I did mine at is doing the class for 350, then you've got 2 days of diving to pay for. Our check out dives were about 2 hours south of us, overnight at a hotel... so it does add up a bit. After that you've got either gear rental or purchasing... I'm a wheeler/dealer. I think if I add up all my gear purchases including 4 brand new tanks, 2 full sets... I'm in the black a couple hundred bucks. I'm the rarity in this hobby though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom