What is the correct action ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
They do it in places around the US too where they claim that live boating isn't practical due to being in shiping lanes or whatever. Still long hangs in heavy current are no fun (especially if it's cold) and being "blown off" the wreck or line is a real possibility. We call them flag dives because that's what we feel like while holding on trying not to get blown away.

The boat I've been diving from is 45 metres long and it really isn't practical for picking up divers. It does have a zodiac as a tender, which is really necessary, but you couldn't free float in deco here either way. you'd either get run over or surface 5km from the divesite. It does mean you need to be damned sure where the upline is.... :) The nice part about this boat is that it draws exactly 5 metres in the middle of the keel :) and there are some points where you can attach a jon-line.

This year we're trying a different boat that's quite a bit smaller. I hope that goes ok.

R..

I go where my buddy goes. I'll trust that the boat crew will recognize that two divers are missing, and assume they are somewhere downcurrent. In the scenario given, even if you go back to the boat you have no more information as to your buddy's whereabouts than the boat crew would logically surmise anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Diver0001:
:11: - OMG Bet when he hauled you in you were praying that he wasn't angry.... :)

R..

Well, kind of! And actually, he was laughing his head off. Great guy.

Diver0001:
The boat I've been diving from is 45 metres long and it really isn't practical for picking up divers. It does have a zodiac as a tender, which is really necessary, but you couldn't free float in deco here either way. you'd either get run over or surface 5km from the divesite. It does mean you need to be damned sure where the upline is.... :) The nice part about this boat is that it draws exactly 5 metres in the middle of the keel :) and there are some points where you can attach a jon-line.

This year we're trying a different boat that's quite a bit smaller. I hope that goes ok.

R..

45 meters? That's not a boat that's a ship!

I would stick with my buddy. I'm reasoning that they would probably have a higher chance of panicing if they were alone and away from the boat then with another diver.

Sean C:
Here is the question. If you are diving with a current and your buddy misses the line and is being carried away by the current but in no specific danger: do you stay with the buddy or wait to get back into the boat with the rest of the group and then let the boat retrieve the buddy? For the purpose of this question, lets assume the buddy is in no immediate danger and you would not be placing yourself in an any real risk by going with the buddy. An additional assumption could be that there are several divers waiting to exit the water, so drifting diver and boat will experience some considerable separation. I am aware that this should be covered in the brief, but I would still like your opinion....? Rag away, if you wish.

Sean
My wife is my buddy, no question, no hesitation i'll go with my buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom