What is the correct action ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for me, depending on certain variable factors, I would almost certainly go with my buddy, unless it would delay a search or severly complicate any attempted search.

Hey, she is my wife, I could not bear the possibility of having to listen to her b%$#h at me for the rest of my life for leaving her, frankly that scares me.

Sean

Sean C:
As for me, depending on certain variable factors, I would almost certainly go with my buddy, unless it would delay a search or severly complicate any attempted search.

Hey, she is my wife, I could not bear the possibility of having to listen to her b%$#h at me for the rest of my life for leaving her, frankly that scares me.

Sean

Yeah, I fully understand. But it doesn't scare me as much as the idea of never hearing from her again.

If you're with your buddy in the first place how does one miss the line and the other not?

Some would say there's a problem with diving in that strong of a current from a tied up boat in the first place.

Where we usually wreck dive we usually don't have much current and the boat is hooked. However, the deal is that if you don't get back to the line the boat won't be comming for you until after the other divers are back on board. Since ther is usually decompression time involved that could be awhile but I still don't see how one buddy gets on the line and the other doesn't.

MikeFerrara:
If you're with your buddy in the first place how does one miss the line and the other not?

Clearly the buddy who missed was wearing split fins and a snorkel. :D

Some would say there's a problem with diving in that strong of a current from a tied up boat in the first place.

If that were the case there would be no diving on the North Sea. On the N Sea boats there's a "parking line" along the side of the boat by the ladder. If you make your final ascent and somehow missed it you could easily end up behind the boat and have to pull yourself back along the granny line.

R..

Sean C:
Here is the question. If you are diving with a current and your buddy misses the line and is being carried away by the current but in no specific danger: do you stay with the buddy or wait to get back into the boat with the rest of the group and then let the boat retrieve the buddy? For the purpose of this question, lets assume the buddy is in no immediate danger and you would not be placing yourself in an any real risk by going with the buddy. An additional assumption could be that there are several divers waiting to exit the water, so drifting diver and boat will experience some considerable separation. I am aware that this should be covered in the brief, but I would still like your opinion....? Rag away, if you wish.

Sean

If you drift with your buddy there is now NO ONE that can tell the skipper of the boat exactly what happened. The skipper won't know if you two are still on the bottom, still on the line, drifting, dead, etc. I'd surface and tell the skipper what happened.

Diver0001:
If that were the case there would be no diving on the North Sea. On the N Sea boats there's a "parking line" along the side of the boat by the ladder. If you make your final ascent and somehow missed it you could easily end up behind the boat and have to pull yourself back along the granny line.

I did a dive like that in Panama and the current had become so strong I couldn't even pull myself along the granny line. There was a helmsman named Kidd (yes - 'Captain Kidd') who was so damn strong that he just heaved a big sigh, (hidden meaning - 'what a dweeb') hauled in the line, and - I swear I'm not making this up - lifted me into the tender boat, gear, weights and all - with one arm.

I'm 6'4" / 230 buck nekid...

Sean C:
Here is the question. If you are diving with a current and your buddy misses the line and is being carried away by the current but in no specific danger: do you stay with the buddy or wait to get back into the boat with the rest of the group and then let the boat retrieve the buddy?

Perhaps you should specify if you are on the surface or at depth. I think it might make a difference in the responses. Personally, I would be less inclined to separate if we were still below the surface.

Diver0001:

R..

They do it in places around the US too where they claim that live boating isn't practical due to being in shiping lanes or whatever. Still long hangs in heavy current are no fun (especially if it's cold) and being "blown off" the wreck or line is a real possibility. We call them flag dives because that's what we feel like while holding on trying not to get blown away.

doole:
I did a dive like that in Panama and the current had become so strong I couldn't even pull myself along the granny line. There was a helmsman named Kidd (yes - 'Captain Kidd') who was so damn strong that he just heaved a big sigh, (hidden meaning - 'what a dweeb') hauled in the line, and - I swear I'm not making this up - lifted me into the tender boat, gear, weights and all - with one arm.

I'm 6'4" / 230 buck nekid...

:11: - OMG Bet when he hauled you in you were praying that he wasn't angry.... :)

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom