What is the best wetsuit for the price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brandnew

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm brand new to diving and thinking about purchasing my own gear. I live in new england and plan on diving locally in the summer months here, I will be traveling to New Zealand in december and january month, possibly back to New Zealand and Australia in May and June, and Florida in the winter. Based on advice I've recieved so far this will require a 7mm wetsuit. I was considering the Henderson Thermoprene but after reading some of post here, I'm now starting to think it might be better to go a different route.

A little bit more about me. I'm a student and as such don't have a lot of money as such I don't want to spend a lot of money replacing gear that falls apart. After all it is better to spend 400 dollars for something that last several years than 200 for something that has be replaced every year. But at the same time would prefer not to spend more than necassary to get decent quality gear.

Other post have indicated Pinnacle or Wetwear, which Pinnacle's are good? Which is better, and what about other brands Deep See, XS,...etc

The other thing I was wondering was how much does having to alter a wetsuit effect the price?

In laymans terms
I'm looking for a versitalle wetsuit that provides good warmth and will last at a good price.

any advice would be greatly appriciated

Ernest

Welcome to diving, but this is a very complicated question. So much of wetsuit performance is based on the individual and fit. I have gone diving in my drysuit when other people are in a 3mm. Fit is the most important factor to consider though. Go to your LDS and try on several suits to see how they fit your body.

That being said, I own a Bare 7mm Arctic suit and think it works well for water in the mid 50's and above. You really need to look at what kind of diving you are doing and see what is best for you! If you plan on getting into deep / extended diving you will need more warmth. Try on some brands and consider your specific requirements and come back with more specific questions...

Good luck diving!

I agree with your comments that quality and durability mean more than price, but price is still important.
I personnally really like Pinnacle suits. I have 2 of them now, 3mm Full and a Evo2 Drysuit, They fit extremely well as they have like 17 stock male sizes and 13 female sizes (I think) so fitting is reasonably easy without going custom. So far (3, going on 4 years for the wetsuit) they have been great and are both in excellent condition. I highly recommend them.

For alterations- I don't recommend alterations, but you can get a custom fitted suit. Many companies do this for a very reasonable, to no extra cost, but you will pay MRSP not the discounted price that you can often find. But again, with Pinnacle and Henderson, they both carry extensive stock sizes and its likely that you can find a stock size that almost (if not) perfect for you.

Also, don't get stuck on trying to find the "one" suit that will do all of your diving, it will force you to make comprises that will make you somewhat uncomfortable on every dive. Decide what you want the suit to do and get the right equipment for that. If your conditions change, you can always rent the right stuff for that day and modify/add to your gear locker as you progress and the financies allow.

One that fits.

N

I am also fond of my Bare Arctic. Layered with a hooded vest it's about as good as it gets short of going dry and the prices are less than some of the other brands.

Of course fit needs to be right for it to be a good value. More on that and wetsuits in general can be read here.

Pete

I like the Neo-Sports - they're made by Henderson.

You can get a 3/2 or a 4/3 from Scubatoys for about $85 US.

the K

I think the Pinnacle Cruiser 7 mill. is the best wetsuit for the money at about 225.00.Kevlar knee pads and a lifetime warranty.Very warm suit I might add,it must be considered a semi dry because it takes a while for the water to seep in.

Waterproof wetsuits will keep you warm. Waterproof is a very good brand! Pre-bent arms and legs (no pun intended) provides a perfect anatomical fit.

Waterproof - Sweden

I doubt that you can find an "all around wet suit". You probably could get a pinnacle 3mil and a Pinnacle 7mil and these would serve you well. If you dive the Caribbean the 3 will do fine, especially repetitive diving. A few dives could be done in swim suit only if it warm. Then go to your 3mil. Pennacle makes a nice suit for the money. 7mil in cool water.

I purchased my first wetsuit for Caribbean diving and regret my purchase. I decided to spend more time and research so I don't end up making the same mistake twice.

I purchased a stretch wetsuit because it was easy to get on and molded to my body. I found that it was full of water after each dive. The stretch would let it keep filling up. There wasn't a lot of water flowing through the suit but I still had to warm the new water filling it up.

Talking to people here I found out there are different grades of neoprene. So all 3mm suits are not created equal. I also decided to look into a combination I could wear locally (30F to 65F) and wear in the Caribbean (75F to 85F). First though was that it 3mm full was cold in the Caribbean, I might be able to get a 7mm for here and the Caribbean. When it got really cold I'd wear a shorty over the full (for a 14mm total). The more I talked to people the more I was told there will be no good comibination that will do it all. I should buy a suit for the Caribbean and buy a completely different suit for local. I might even consider two suits for local (summer and not-summer, i.e. cold and really cold).

I looked at a few wetsuits. I really like the look and fit of the Waterproof wetsuit. It is a lot of money but I'm still considering it. The neoprene seems a lot stiffer and (hopefully) compresses less but it goes on and off quite easily. They also have a HUGE selection of sizes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom