What is the best wetsuit for the price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most folks on SB will probably agree with me on this one: The best wetsuit is the one that fits you perfectly.

Other than that, my own biased recommendation would be to stay away from any of those new fancy hyperstretch neoprene suits. Yes, they're easier to put on, but as with everything in life, comfort comes with a price. In this case, more money you have to spend, plus they are less warm than a conventional wetsuit of the same thickness, and they compress and wear out much sooner. I have a 3mm Excel that after 20 dives (!) is reduced to a flimsy 2mm at best.

During my searches I've encountered another question. How big is the warmth difference between a straight 7mm and a 7mm with 5mm on the extremities?

Ernest

Most folks on SB will probably agree with me on this one: The best wetsuit is the one that fits you perfectly.

Other than that, my own biased recommendation would be to stay away from any of those new fancy hyperstretch neoprene suits. Yes, they're easier to put on, but as with everything in life, comfort comes with a price. In this case, more money you have to spend, plus they are less warm than a conventional wetsuit of the same thickness, and they compress and wear out much sooner. I have a 3mm Excel that after 20 dives (!) is reduced to a flimsy 2mm at best.

I get the feeling this is what happened to me. I have an Akona 3mm QuantumStretch. I think if I had a regular 3mm I wouldn't have been as cold on my last Caribbean dive. I have been hearing from others that a 3mm Waterproof (not stretchy at all) and 5mm Henderson HyperStretch are about the same down to 60'.

Well after much driving, research and sweating in dressing rooms I found that the pinnacle cruiser fit very well.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Ernest

I am going to have to chime in on the Waterproof suits. I have both their 3mm and 5mm suits and they are truly as warm as the next step up in thickness with most manufacturers. The trick is that like Wetwear they use nitrogen-blown neoprene that does not compress to the same degree as your typical air-blown neoprene. This also means they are more durable, and yes they do not stretch as much, but for that reason they offer more sizes to ensure that they have something that hopefully fits you.

I love both of mine and when they wear out will be replacing them with more Waterproof suits!

I am going to have to chime in on the Waterproof suits. I have both their 3mm and 5mm suits and they are truly as warm as the next step up in thickness with most manufacturers. The trick is that like Wetwear they use nitrogen-blown neoprene that does not compress to the same degree as your typical air-blown neoprene. This also means they are more durable, and yes they do not stretch as much, but for that reason they offer more sizes to ensure that they have something that hopefully fits you.

I love both of mine and when they wear out will be replacing them with more Waterproof suits!

I am not quite sure who told you that Waterproof uses nitrogen-blown neoprene....they don't. If you go on their website and look at the product sheets, it says right there that they use a CR material...which is a molded neoprene, no cell structure at all. I'm sure Waterproof make a nice suit, but it is not made with nitrogen composed material. I'm not aware of any other companies who use nitrogen composed neoprene besides Wetwear.

Here are some information links about neoprene:

Wetwear - Why we only use Rubatex

Wetwear - Neoprene Blends

I am not quite sure who told you that Waterproof uses nitrogen-blown neoprene....they don't. If you go on their website and look at the product sheets, it says right there that they use a CR material...which is a molded neoprene, no cell structure at all. I'm sure Waterproof make a nice suit, but it is not made with nitrogen composed material. I'm not aware of any other companies who use nitrogen composed neoprene besides Wetwear.

Here are some information links about neoprene:

Wetwear - Why we only use Rubatex

Wetwear - Neoprene Blends

If you go to their web site, it says: "Wetwear Nitrogen Neoprene." What does this mean? Sounds like nitrogen neoprene!

Please disregard previous post - I miss read it..... I'm looking at the Wet Ware wet suit and trying to decide if the advantage of the long zippers is worth the cost and water flow. Pinnacle suit is my next choice. I've got a 5 mill Henderson Gold that is going to be replaced. It's about 8 years old and wearing out.

Please disregard previous post - I miss read it..... I'm looking at the Wet Ware wet suit and trying to decide if the advantage of the long zippers is worth the cost and water flow. Pinnacle suit is my next choice. I've got a 5 mill Henderson Gold that is going to be replaced. It's about 8 years old and wearing out.

Hi DANBMW,

I have a Wetwear suit with the long zippers and I have no problem with heat loss or water flow. They use a water tight flap thingy that is sewn to both sides of the zipper opening, so you don't get leakage from the zippers. The other great thing about their suits is the materials they use. It looks like you have read about it on there site. I have to tell you that I have stayed warmer in my 3mm suit by Wetwear than in my 5mm Henderson I use to wear. Some times it is hard to navigate their website, when I placed my order I found it much easier to call and speak to them on the phone. They are very helpful and knowledgeable about wetsuits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom