What is the best way to mount your Spare Air 3.0 Unit to your BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theskull once bubbled...

And you can buy one cheap used from any newbie tech diver who now thinks he's too good for rec equipment.

theskull

I'm using alot of the same equipment for tech that I use for rec. Just more of it. And I still don't have a spare air.

If it makes you happy, that's all that counts.

MD

theskull once bubbled...
Who was the air-sucker who started his calculation with a SAC of 1.0 cu ft per minute? Only the most nervous beginner breathes like that. And why also assume that I would panic and pant if I needed the Spare Air? I would not panic precisely because I did have Spare Air and had practiced using it, as I practice all my survival skills.

LOL! So you ARE serious! I thought this was a troll.

If it works for you, great.

I would bet anything that if you ever got into a real jam with it, then it would not last 4 minutes at 50 ft, like during your self test.

Two minutes at the most, maybe. And that would be at a 0.5 ft3/min rate. Which is definitely not air sucking. :)

Even 2 minutes air is plenty for a relaxed ascent from 50 ft.----30 ft. per minute ascent rate with air to spare----without allowing for the expanding effect of ascending.

That is all it is advertised to do.

And yes, it does make me happy when for whatever reason I cannot use my H-valved full size tanks or doubles.

theskull

theskull once bubbled...
I know y'all love to bash the Spare Air, but yes I have breathed it down at depth several times--partly as a test, partly for practice, and also just to empty it to refill with fresh air.

At 50 ft. it lasts me 4 minutes, while swimming. And that is while maintaining depth. If truly OOA I would be ascending while breathing it, in which case the decreasing ATA would give me at least double that time.

Who was the air-sucker who started his calculation with a SAC of 1.0 cu ft per minute? Only the most nervous beginner breathes like that. And why also assume that I would panic and pant if I needed the Spare Air? I would not panic precisely because I did have Spare Air and had practiced using it, as I practice all my survival skills.

And the biggest benefit of all--it is easy to break down and pack for a flight to a travel destination. Once there you can assemble it and fill from your first al-80 on the dive boat.

True, it is not an ideal redundant air source; but it is a very convenient one that is comfortable and does not affect your buoyancy. And you can buy one cheap used from any newbie tech diver who now thinks he's too good for rec equipment.

theskull

1.0 cuft/min for a diver in distress isn't unreasonable.. for someone with a tital volume of say 4 liters thats about 7 breaths per minute.. not unreasonable... if your tidal volume is less you'll get a 1 or 2 more breaths per minute.. You may not get nervous when you run out of air (are you speaking from experience?), but I have seen divers get panicky when they have 250psi in their 80s! from 100 ft and a proper ascent you need 3 minutes, even if we cut it down to .5 per min, the first ata ascent will average at 3.5 atas or 1.75 cu ft of gas, the next ata would average 2.5 atas or 1.25 cu ft of gas, opps thats 3 cu ft, your out of gas for the last 1 ata of ascent.... the avg would be 1.5atas or .75 cu ft of gas... I really doubt a diver who is using spare air is confortable to get anywhere near .5 cuft per minute...

using .75 which is probably in the ballpark for a majority of divers its 2.625+ 1.825 +1.125 or a toal 5.575 cu ft almost double the capacity of a SA3

Are you recommending someone swim rapidly to the surface from 100fsw??? Someone experienced MIGHT be able to control their panic and doe someowaht of a controlled ascent but there are better solutions so why not use them? Traveling with a 13 or 19cuft bottle isn't that difficult...

I travel with multiple bottles for my rebreather AND either a 13 or 6 cuft bottle for drysuit inflation.. You can easily throw the pony in the side pocket of most divebags that have places for fins.. (thats where I put my bottles)

Personally my rmv is usually .5 or less...

jonscubas once bubbled...

How are you spare air 3.0 owner's mounting yours on a dive?

I duct tape mine to the side of my head...If you going to look ridiculous, you might as well look really ridiculous.

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

You may want to start a poll: Who uses/would never use/ a can of spare air for scuba diving??

You may want to consider investing in a little bit bigger pony bottle than just a can of spare air. People here debate endlessly against ponies smaller than 20 or 30 cu ft. And that is 10 times what your spare air can holds.

What about that little breathing tube that Sean Connery used in Thunderball? :D

I bought Spare Air after realizing that having a little extra air might come in handy if you have an AOE. After buying it, I talked to my LD and he pretty much laughed and suggested the Pony system.

The only reason I did not look into the Pony first was I thought the cost would be much greater then the Spare Air.

After listening to him and reading many posts on Scuba Board, I decided to go with the Pony System. It cost about $100.00 more then the Spare Air and would give me more air then I would probably need in an AOE, depending on depth.

I did keep the Spare Air for vacations, easier to carry on a plane and fill at my destination.

rakjar once bubbled...
I bought Spare Air after realizing that having a little extra air might come in handy if you have an AOE. After buying it, I talked to my LD and he pretty much laughed and suggested the Pony system.

I thought I knew all the acronyms, but what is AOE? Air Out Emergency?

To me (important to specify), SpareAir is a bad solution to an non-existing problem...When properly mentally fit, trained and equipped.

This gozmo refrain Darwin theory from eliminating the dumbest of us all....

I whould not dive with someone with a Spare Air... That clearly indicates that I cannot count on this diver when real problems occurs.

Oh boy am I gonna be replied on this one ;-) ;-) ;-)
Have fun while diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom