What is the best way to mount your Spare Air 3.0 Unit to your BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SA 3.0 is acceptable for garage diving.

However, based on the study parameters, it qualifies for use only under the protocols for 'recreational' garage diving.

The question to be resolved now is whether it is also valid for 'technical' garage diving.

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
SA 3.0 is acceptable for garage diving.

However, based on the study parameters, it qualifies for use only under the protocols for 'recreational' garage diving.

The question to be resolved now is whether it is also valid for 'technical' garage diving.

It is okay for technical if doubled up with an iso manifold. Of course, you also have to have a stage.
You could use the stage for a USO show if the tech diving got out of hand.

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...

It is okay for technical if doubled up with an iso manifold. Of course, you also have to have a stage.
You could use the stage for a USO show if the tech diving got out of hand.

MD

And of course I still maintain that a diver doesn't have to know how to turn the valve off on a spare air. :)

chrpai once bubbled...

And of course I still maintain that a diver doesn't have to know how to turn the valve off on a spare air. :)

That's the people spare airs are made for.
Yup.

Warning !!!

Due to the inherently dangerous nature of garage diving and/or spare air testing and the high probabilty of an OOA situation it is recommended that this activity be performed by trained personel only.

I have decided to defer further testing until such time that I can obtain the proper training required. :D

As a note to you non-garage divers, I did have my complete gear set-up inches away ready to go should an OOA/Panic situation have occured. I realise now just how foolish this type of activity is/was and will refrain from future episodes with out proper training. :whack:

Scott

MechDiver once bubbled...
That's the people spare airs are made for.
Yup.

Keyboard!

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

How much air is in a can of spare air? 3 ft3? How long would that last at 30 ft? 90 seconds maybe?

I have seen D/Ms in the water with their spare air on class dives to 20 ft. It looks impressive to the students, but it does not really accomplish much else.

You cannot be serious about "greater than 30 ft"?

["Nicely" didn't work. Now attempting logic.]

Lets assume you get the bottle totally filled and are only moderately nervous.. we will assume an RMV of 1.0 cuft/min on the surface..

that means at the surface your spare air will last 3 minutes, 1.5 minutes at 33 fsw, 1 minute at 66fsw or 45 seconds from 99 fsw

more than likely you'll be brathing harder than 1 cuft per minute if you think you are going to die, so in reality cut all the numbers in half.. spare air is useless.. it gives a sense of safety and might cause a person not to pay as much attention as they should to their air consumption. If thats all I had and somehow I ran out of air its better than nothing... but you might as well equip yourself the proper way.

I would recommend at minumum 19cuft for up to around 100 fsw and 30 cuft for up to 130 at least it gives you a reasonable ascent time.

I don't beleive you people, don't you watch Baywatch??

David Hasellhof (sp?) can go down 60 ft and rescue 2 cuties from a cave with a spare air!!

mcrae once bubbled...
I don't beleive you people, don't you watch Baywatch??

David Hasellhof (sp?) can go down 60 ft and rescue 2 cuties from a cave with a spare air!!

What they didn't show was the spare air being refilled during the commercials :wink:

I know y'all love to bash the Spare Air, but yes I have breathed it down at depth several times--partly as a test, partly for practice, and also just to empty it to refill with fresh air.

At 50 ft. it lasts me 4 minutes, while swimming. And that is while maintaining depth. If truly OOA I would be ascending while breathing it, in which case the decreasing ATA would give me at least double that time.

Who was the air-sucker who started his calculation with a SAC of 1.0 cu ft per minute? Only the most nervous beginner breathes like that. And why also assume that I would panic and pant if I needed the Spare Air? I would not panic precisely because I did have Spare Air and had practiced using it, as I practice all my survival skills.

And the biggest benefit of all--it is easy to break down and pack for a flight to a travel destination. Once there you can assemble it and fill from your first al-80 on the dive boat.

True, it is not an ideal redundant air source; but it is a very convenient one that is comfortable and does not affect your buoyancy. And you can buy one cheap used from any newbie tech diver who now thinks he's too good for rec equipment.

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom