What is the best Photography Package for under $1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaND

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to get into underwater photography but do not want to invest a crazy amount of money. I would like to come in under $1000 for everything if at all possible. I am new to this so all comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You could get a lot of different answers. I think you want a camera with full manual control, and ability to shoot raw. Also a good strobe makes all of the difference in the world! I use a Nikon P7100 housed in a Fantasea FP7100 case. Along with a Sea and Sea ys 02 manual adjust strobe. The camera package can be found with a refurbed camera for about $400, and with a new camera for a little under $500. The strobe can be found for about $350. Also depending on type of shots, this housing takes different wet lenses, plan on anywhere from $150 to $300 for a good macro lens, and $200-$300 for a good Wide Angle!

If they're still around, you can grab an Olympus EP-M1 with standard lens, a port and a housing for $495. Then add a decent strobe with the other 500. It's like stealing.

I have been considering a Olympus XZ-2 Camera and the Olympus housing. Right now that camera is on closeout for $299, normally $599. Not sure how this camera compares to the Olympus EP-M1?

---------- Post added February 13th, 2014 at 08:38 AM ----------

Also do you know anywhere you can still find the Olympus EP-M1 package for sale?

The XZ-2 is a nice point and shoot. It will be a smaller package and probably simpler than the EP-M1, which is a removable lens 4/3 system. It's a step down in picture quality from the Sony RX100, but with a better natural macro capability (without add-on lenses). It's cheaper to house as well. At $299, it's also a third of the price of the Sony. At $265 on Amazon for the PT-054 housing, the price would be about the same as the EP-M1, if they're still available. It was a close-out, so you'd have to find one at that price.

If they're still around, you can grab an Olympus EP-M1 with standard lens, a port and a housing for $495. Then add a decent strobe with the other 500. It's like stealing.
Yes I was lucky enough to catch that sale and got that from Backscatter then also got a Sola 2000 f and on sale also for $499 and Ultralight arms also from Backscatter.
I now have added a Intova Px 21 strobe... so a little over $ 1,300 really liking it so far.

Anyone know of anywhere you can still pick up the EP-M1?

Thanks again guys for all your opinions and advice.

I believe there are cameras still available but the UW Housing may be a problem try google

I think I have decided to go with the Olympus xz-2 package. Gives me more options then having to pick what type of object I want to shoot that dive with the interchangeable lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom