What Is The Best Octopus Holder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar:
Now, if you might cite something to backup your statement, I would welcome the enlightenment. Additionally, if there is statistical evidence with which to debunk the anecdotal evidence formerly presented to me, it would be easy enough for me to say that you are, in fact, correct (as I deliberately included the word "probably").

I am sure we would all welcome being enlightened by you posting some data as well. Or do you have habit of just telling people they are mistaken without any proof yourself?

Rainer:
I am sure we would all welcome being enlightened by you posting some data as well. Or do you have habit of just telling people they are mistaken without any proof yourself?
My data is anecdotes told to me directly by the persons involved. Said persons happen to be various instructors at my LDS. How would you like me to cite them?

Do I need to actually take depositions under oath, or would you accept a report from someone to whom their stories were directly related? Do you need original signatures, or would notarized copies be okay? Do I need to cite their instructor numbers with the various agencies with which they are affiliated?

I am perfectly aware that anecdotes cannot be relied upon. They do not have the force of statistics, which include analysis in order to estimate probabilities. They are all but worthless when put up against scientifically provable logic. Still, anecdotes *are* information and are not completely unsubstantiated statements.

It could easily be that a particular set of anecdotes lead to (or from) an incorrect assumption, and the unsubstantiated statements may in fact be correct. However, given the choice between the two, one must always fall on the side of the information that currently exists (even while openly admitting that that decision is tenuous at best).

(I did not assume I needed to explain this, Rainer. My apologies for that flawed assumption.)

Sharky1948:
Just curious what that statement is based upon. Given that primary regs are always in the same place, and there is little (and even conflicting) standardization regarding backup (octo) regs, especially with the advent of Air 2s and similar devices, I think it's fair to say that many divers in OOA situations will go for a known quantity.

I think it would be fair to say you are thinking of what you believe to be the most likely outcome. I used to believe that as well. I base my statement on experience dealing with OOA divers. While working on a dive charter in the Keys from 85 - 92, I made lots of rescues, many of them were OOA divers. I had one, and only one, reach for my primary regulator. I did not expect such results, but that's what happens. Those who panic don't grab regulators, they bolt for the surface. Those who remain calm, signal OOA and wait for a regulator. Now, if the donor doesn't hand a regulator over quickly, it may be different. I've only seen that take place twice. Both times the OOA diver grabbed the octo.

My wife and I went through several different kinds before we settled on Zeagle's double-flap Velcro thingy (can't find it on Zeagle's site). Works great!

dhampton82:
I use a regular brass clip zip-tied to the octos hose.
If you want to use the bolt snap, wrap an o ring around the hose and zip tie to that. In that way, the o ring will break away if needed.

See this page for a bunch of different octo holders (the web page is poor resolution). I use the simplest, the RP36, purchased at my LDS. I have wire tied it to a D-ring on my BCD. Could be fed through itself for attachment, as well. Works well and has not broken in 60 dives. The linked illustrations are from the online catalog of Trident .

I've only ever encountered 1 OOA situation (faulty rental SPG) and she waited and took my octo, no reg grabbing or bolting. BUT having said that, there will be different responses from people for any given situation, so who's to say which is really the best or worst?

I have been using the Dennis method. It is not bulky and beats anything you can buy.

Stu S.:
I have been using the Dennis method. It is not bulky and beats anything you can buy.

Okay- you got me (newbie)

"Dennis" method? 'Splain?

Walter:
Those who remain calm, signal OOA and wait for a regulator. Now, if the donor doesn't hand a regulator over quickly, it may be different. I've only seen that take place twice. Both times the OOA diver grabbed the octo.

I teach students to grab the octo and not waste time with the "hand jive".

I use some shock cord or 1/8 bungee. Cheap, easy to use. Snorkel keepers work great. The one MMDiver posted is nice too, even comes with a spare mouthpiece.

FYI: I had seen some instructors use the method where the octo hose is folded and tucked up into the strap of the BC. It seemed like a good idea for the times when nothing else was available. I tried it but have had an instance where the octo failed to deploy, being stuck on the buckle somehow. That method is now in the trash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom