What Is The Best Octopus Holder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use surgical tubing and just make a loop with zip ties and secure it to a D-ring on the bc. Make it snug enough to grip around the mouth piece and yet pops free easily.
Very cheap, and last... well I don't know how long yet they're still going!

Dennis

I use a regular brass clip zip-tied to the octos hose.

Works alot better then the wierd looking yellow bubble that my LDS first sold me!

lol I just noticed you can see the old bubble thing in my avatar!!

dhampton82: I thought about a clip of some kind attached to the hose, but I wasn't sure I considered that a good idea -- it doesn't pass the "yank test" (i.e. "Would a flustered diver be able to grab it and have air with nothing more than a good solid yank?"). I went with the hair tie thing, as it holds well, releases well, and in the event it doesn't release when the good solid yank comes, it'd just snap.

Of course, they say that a panicked diver is probably more likely to rank the reg right out of your mouth, so perhaps the yank test is overkill, but then again, if you couldn't yank-and-give, you'd have to practice deployment rather more often, eh? A solid yank is almost certainly faster than any clip, wouldn't you say?

ClayJar:
dhampton82: I thought about a clip of some kind attached to the hose, but I wasn't sure I considered that a good idea -- it doesn't pass the "yank test" (i.e. "Would a flustered diver be able to grab it and have air with nothing more than a good solid yank?"). I went with the hair tie thing, as it holds well, releases well, and in the event it doesn't release when the good solid yank comes, it'd just snap.

Of course, they say that a panicked diver is probably more likely to rank the reg right out of your mouth, so perhaps the yank test is overkill, but then again, if you couldn't yank-and-give, you'd have to practice deployment rather more often, eh? A solid yank is almost certainly faster than any clip, wouldn't you say?

Clayjar, I did think about that when I first set up the clip thing, but the only person I dive with is my g/f and she does have the same set up on her octo. I do (all most forcibly at times :shakehead ) make sure that we do practice deployment of the octo on at least one of the dives we do when we go out. She likes to just collect shells so at times, drills can be a pain to get her to do, but if an OOA did happen, I am confident in her knowing what to do.

Also the little bubble thingy ripped while practicing usin the octo on about the 7th dive it was on and the clip became just a semi-permant solution untill I do switch over to the long hose/ bungee octo.

Which (probably a topic for a new thread) I am thinking I will look funny rocking the long hose with a vest BC......

Walter:
"They" are mistaken.

Just curious what that statement is based upon. Given that primary regs are always in the same place, and there is little (and even conflicting) standardization regarding backup (octo) regs, especially with the advent of Air 2s and similar devices, I think it's fair to say that many divers in OOA situations will go for a known quantity.

Walter:
"They" are mistaken.
As are you.

I had heard that said by several people of varying experience and affiliations (including, among others, a NAUI instructor in the low 5500s, who seems to have at least a little experience). Their anecdotal evidence was that panicking out-of-air divers who have encountered them have preferentially ripped the reg right out of their mouth, although being anecdotal evidence (and with a very small sample size, too), they can easily be as mistaken as anyone else.

Now, if you might cite something to backup your statement, I would welcome the enlightenment. Additionally, if there is statistical evidence with which to debunk the anecdotal evidence formerly presented to me, it would be easy enough for me to say that you are, in fact, correct (as I deliberately included the word "probably").

Back
Top Bottom