What is the best non-canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When do I not have my can light :confused: It is part of my weighting.

Bang for the buck the Dorcy fits the bill as a back up light, and can be used with a soft handle. There are plenty of others available, and for a lot more money you can get a brighter light than 220 lumen.
Pentrater 220 lumen

I'm a fan of the Light Cannon from UK. Works great in Jersey waters.

I rarely dive without my canister, and when I do, I carry one of my backup lights (Dorcy Penetrators or refurbished Scouts). But I have to admit, I was strongly tempted, at the Tacoma Dive Expo, by the Light & Motion Solas LED lights that ride on the back of the hand, with a soft Goodman handle. They were REALLY bright, small, LED (so durable) and not absurdly expensive.

I have Dorcy Penatrator. I am not impressed with it. Its shape and size is perfect. Brightness is OK. But beam quality is not the best I have seen. I am sure in the right condition, it is a very effective light. Where I dive, VIZ isn't great. The dorcy beam just not enough to cut. The hotspot is not hot enough for daytime signaling. I like the beam of UK ELED4 much better, hotter and tighter center with more spill. But this light isn't easily mount on the back of my hand with light socks.

What I am hoping for is a light with a high lux hot spot (hotter than Docry) and tight center (used for daytime signaling) gradual fade out spill (instead of Dorcy's sharp cut off). Small enough (without the canister) that I can bring with me on vacation. Is there something like this out there?

I would look at the intova ultra nova, on my last cave trip my primary failed before I got in the water and I used the intova with a light sock and I had better light penetration from it then my dive buddy using a 10 watt dive rite hid.

Also sartec industries makes some amazing led lights that are inexpensive that are as bright as 10w hids.

Reactions: Jax
I would look at the intova ultra nova, on my last cave trip my primary failed before I got in the water and I used the intova with a light sock and I had better light penetration from it then my dive buddy using a 10 watt dive rite hid.

Also sartec industries makes some amazing led lights that are inexpensive that are as bright as 10w hids.

I did consider ultra nova, but with 6AAA, I wonder how much it can better than Dorcy. Do you have a beam shot?

Negative, I never used the other light you mention, but when I bought the ultra it was on sale 2 for 100, so if you can find that deal again, it's well worth Having them as backup lights if nothing else.

eelnoraa, the characteristics you describe are all present in the L&M Solas lights -- it's why I thought they'd be ideal night-diving lights, especially for travel.

Back
Top Bottom