Question How to service the Orcatorch or Nitesun battery canister?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I believe I have a bad 18650 cell in my Nitesun DIV20S battery canister. It's the same canister used by Orcatorch.

The batteries appear to be glued into the canister. I don't know what kind of adhesive was used. Perhaps I just need to warm it up with a heat gun and then I can remove the batteries. However, heat gun + lithium = possible trouble.

Here's what's going on ... the canister shows zero charge and no battery LEDs are illuminated. I start charging. After about 15 seconds, it shows full charge. I then connect the light head, and it works for about 20 seconds. Then it's dead.

Any tips on removing the batteries to investigate?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-10 133437.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-10 133437.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 49
You dont. Unless you have the proper equipment, they are not serviceable.

Recycle it and buy a new one.

That doesn't seem right. It's just a bunch of commercially available batteries.

That doesn't seem right. It's just a bunch of commercially available batteries.
I suspect @Whitrzac comment is such that if you have to ask the question, you’re probably not in a position to rebuild it yourself. That said, until you crack it open, you may not know.

I assure readers that I know my way around an electronics bench. Getting access to the batteries is another matter entirely.

In the picture it's hard to tell.
Is the plastic molded over the top?
Or does it unscrew?
Are you sure it's not one battery? What's the output voltage when it working right?

One way is to do precision destructive disassembly, to see what inside...

A red hot box cutter blade might be handy...

@Gone for diving ... the battery pack unscrews. I can see the tops of the first 4 18650 cells, but they don't slide out. I suspect they are glued, but want someone to confirm what kind of glue was used and whether or not the 18650 cells are replaceable.

@Gone for diving ... the battery pack unscrews. I can see the tops of the first 4 18650 cells, but they don't slide out. I suspect they are glued, but want someone to confirm what kind of glue was used and whether or not the 18650 cells are replaceable.
You have to chisel them out, they weren't designed to be removed/replaced by users.

No sure the average person should start chiseling lithium batteries...

But then again we are not attempting an average repair.

If its possibly glued in... I might get an old toaster oven, OUTSIDE and warm up the whole pack and see if you can get it free...
Maybe strategically drill a hole at the opposite end to help push them out with a pin.

I assume it's a plastic housing?

Are they in series or parallel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom