What is the best non-canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Dorcy Penatrator. I am not impressed with it. Its shape and size is perfect. Brightness is OK. But beam quality is not the best I have seen. I am sure in the right condition, it is a very effective light. Where I dive, VIZ isn't great. The dorcy beam just not enough to cut. The hotspot is not hot enough for daytime signaling.
Which Dorcy do you have? Is it the newer 220 lumen?

We have 21 Salvo HID's, and a Halcyon with a 21 watt Brightstar bulb, so my comparison is only based on those. The newer Dorcy did not perform as well as the HID's, but not much can beat a powerful HID. The Dorcy did have a nice tight beam and kicks my upgraded LED Photo Torpedo's butt. The Dorcy fits perfectly into the Oxycheq light sock, as do many other lights. I would put the Dorcy very close to a 10 watt HID. The day I tested it was decent vis with around 10'. The twist on-off of the Dorcy is the most reliable type of switch. Other brands have had serious issues with their magnetic type switches leaving them unreliable. Make sure to investigate the failures of any lights you are looking at.

As I said above there are other lights available for more money. Once topping the $500 mark though, I would be after a 21 watt can light. I paid a lot less for a couple of our HID's.

The new UK SL4 L1 eLed is 400 lumens. I'm about to buy one. $90 at LeisurePro

There's a new 800 lumen eLed Light Cannon now. All the light and none of the fuss of HID. $200 list

It looks like the Light Cannon HID has been discontinued, it's not listed on their website any longer.

The Princeton Tec Shockwave is 400 Lumens - the new model. $120 at LeisurePro. A diver on a boat had one, you could always tell it was her - she lit everything up. My Dorcy paled by comparison. But I've read of and personally experienced switch problems with one - the older model.

Last edited:
eelnoraa, the characteristics you describe are all present in the L&M Solas lights -- it's why I thought they'd be ideal night-diving lights, especially for travel.

Thanks for tips, I will check this one out.

Which Dorcy do you have? Is it the newer 220 lumen?

I had (just sold) the 220 Lumen Dorcy. I bought it about 1 year ago. Not sure if there is a newer version out there. I agree, it is a good night for night dive in Monterey. It is much better than Intova 4.7W wide beam I once had. I also like the size and twist on/off mechanism. However it is NOT as good as UK eLed4. For 1), UK eLed4 is whiter. Dorcy is noticeably greener side by side. 2)UK has hotter but smaller center but wider spill. Dorcy has bigger center but not as intense, little to no side spill. I found UK penetrade further in Monterey water, better for day time usage for signally too.

It is kind of tough to find local retailer for these kind of lights. And after a few tries, I want to see the light before buying.

I can't speak to where you dive but my Dorcy 220 was noticeably brighter and penetrated farther than my UK Sl4 eLED in Turks/Caicos last year (clear water - 150' viz). You're right about the blue/green hue though.

The new UK SL4 L1 eLed is 400 lumens. I'm about to buy one. $90 at LeisurePro

There's a new 800 lumen eLed Light Cannon now. All the light and none of the fuss of HID. $200 list

It looks like the Light Cannon HID has been discontinued, it's not listed on their website any longer.

The Princeton Tec Shockwave is 400 Lumens - the new model. $120 at LeisurePro. A diver on a boat had one, you could always tell it was her - she lit everything up. My Dorcy paled by comparison. But I've read of and personally experienced switch problems with one - the older model.

If you like the 400 lumen Shockwave you may want to consider the 337 lumen MiniWav. Regular price is $89 but I got mine and have since seen them for $69. Instead of the size and weight of 8 C cells it is only 4 C.

I've thought about getting the 400 Lumen PrincetonTec Shockwave II. I've got the older 200 Lumen model of it and have been quite happy with it for what it cost. (but always wanted a brighter light).

Since you mention the Dorcy, I've also go the 180 Lumen original Dorcy. I really like it, BUUUUUTTTTTT.... for night diving, I really prefer the Shockwave because of it's light pattern. It really just illuminates everything better and is not so "spot focused" as the Dorcy.

I find the Dorcy great for daytime diving though and use it for looking into crack and openings, under rock ledges, under sunken sections of bridge decks, etc. it's great for that.

It's also great for my wife using it to find her cats about every night before bed. She uses it for that more than I do diving.

If you like the 400 lumen Shockwave you may want to consider the 337 lumen MiniWav. Regular price is $89 but I got mine and have since seen them for $69. Instead of the size and weight of 8 C cells it is only 4 C.

The latest Miniwave is 390 lumens. You have to see the label on the box to be sure that what you are getting is the 390 lumen unit.

The latest Miniwave is 390 lumens. You have to see the label on the box to be sure that what you are getting is the 390 lumen unit.

yeah... I thought that was a poor marketing design of Princeton Tec.

both the 200 and the 400 (or 390) lumen lights are both called "Shockwave II" (I think). The only way to tell the difference is the sticker on the box.......

They should have called this new light the "Shockwave III" or something like that...

Back
Top Bottom