What is the best non-canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah... I thought that was a poor marketing design of Princeton Tec.

both the 200 and the 400 (or 390) lumen lights are both called "Shockwave II" (I think). The only way to tell the difference is the sticker on the box.......

They should have called this new light the "Shockwave III" or something like that...

There were probably no design change except for upgrading to a slightly brighter LED. Maybe the switch was fixed from the 200 to 337 lumen switch?

I only found out of the 390 lumen when they brought out a 337 lumen unit and the box said 390 lumens

Just picked up a dive rite 3 led 500 lumens on ebay. Came with both options can be a single hand held or attached for a canister set up. You can have it both ways.

I just put up an intova for sale in the classified section.

Underwater Kinetics SL3 is a great carry light for clear water. Used in on a night dive in Grand Cayman last week and it was great. Beam was a little tight for a night dive, but the strength, intensity and 'white' light it produced was perfect. And it's only about $50.00.

I was given an iTorch Evo I at the weekend to test. Not concluded a real assessment yet but very impressed with it so far. I think the retail is less than $100. Delivers 220 Lumens in a 25 degree beam.

iTorchEVO.jpg

Last edited:
I just put up an intova for sale in the classified section.

Which intova? 4.7 wide? 4.7 narrow? or Ultra Nova?

Underwater Kinetics SL3 is a great carry light for clear water. Used in on a night dive in Grand Cayman last week and it was great. Beam was a little tight for a night dive, but the strength, intensity and 'white' light it produced was perfect. And it's only about $50.00.

My dive buddy has one of this. It is definitely brighter and tighter than my SL4 eLED. I just got myself a Hollis LED5. I will be able to compare to SL3 this weekend in ocean. If they are compatible, then it is a good deal. Hollis costs me $90

I was given an iTorch Evo I at the weekend to test. Not concluded a real assessment yet but very impressed with it so far. I think the retail is less than $100. Delivers 220 Lumens in a 25 degree beam.

220LM isn't bad. But with 25 degree beam meaning the hot spot isn't very intense. May not be a good choice for signaling. For compariosn, Hollis LED5 is 260LM with 8 degree beam. Well, but number don't mean much. Do you have beam comparison shots?

Hydrolights are awesome.

I own two dorcy's/Penetrator's. I like them and I think one of the best aspects of them aside from their twist top is the fact that they use AAA batteries which are ubiquitous instead of the lights which use CREE batteries like the Intova. That was a huge sell for me especially since they are also travel lights.

Better yet, I just saw Piranha put them on sale, 2 for 70$. You can find the link for them in the Hot Deals section.

I dive in the algae murky waters of Monteray. They cut through decently well that they are usable even mid day.

Back
Top Bottom