What is the appropriate call on Marine VHF in these situations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If he is so wreckless and unreliable that he is frequently in trouble, he isn't a dive buddy. I would find a replacement.

how many parachute flares and orange smoke flares do you carry? ha ha
To be 22 miles SSE of Key Biscayne in a kayak, I'd want to tow a dingy of lots of signaling and survival gear. :11:

Yeah, I like boats with captains :D

other boaters have a legal obligation to respond to another vessel in distress (as long as it doesn't place themselves in danger). one problem that happens with boating and aviation both is that there is often a reluctance to declare an emergency. once you declare an emergency then the USCG/ATC/whomever starts calling the shots, there is paperwork to fill out and I guess people feel that by declaring an emergency some people feel it is am admittance of personal failure. however the agencies are looking for some key words e.g. "I am declaring an emergency" or "mayday" etc. If you don't say its an emergency they can only go by what you say, and they may not be able to initiate certain response actions. Personally I have never had a problem declaring an emergency (thanfully in 2,000+ hours PIC and who knows how many as skipper I've only had two - but I wasted no time in declaring and asking for priority).

securite' is also used by vessels who are limited in their manoevering capabilities leaving the dock/entering the channel or by fast/large vessels such as the very fast and large ferry power catamarans (I think one ran down a boater a couple of years ago exiting port everglades, it was painted black duh!).

STOP ...do not listen to any advise on this board unless that person is in the CG ...THEN take a CG sponsered course on the proper use of a Marine VHF ...either through Coast Guard Aux. or Power Squadron ...aside from that none and I mean none of the advise here is worth the time it takes to read it reguarding CG procedures and proper use of your Marine VHF ...also since you're at it take a course on the Rules of Boating ...I strongly recommend you do this so you are not ignorant of the rules concerning boating and your responsibility as a boater ..including kayaking.

You will be surprised how much you and the vast majority of boat owners out there are completely ignorant of the laws and rules associated with owning and operating a vessel on US Waters....both inland and open ocean.

VHF/DSC course takes about 6hrs. Its easy, its internationally recognised and anyone taking any sort of vessel out to sea really should do it.

Skull:
STOP ...do not listen to any advise on this board unless that person is in the CG ...THEN take a CG sponsered course on the proper use of a Marine VHF ...either through Coast Guard Aux. or Power Squadron ...aside from that none and I mean none of the advise here is worth the time it takes to read it reguarding CG procedures and proper use of your Marine VHF ...also since you're at it take a course on the Rules of Boating ...I strongly recommend you do this so you are not ignorant of the rules concerning boating and your responsibility as a boater ..including kayaking.

You will be surprised how much you and the vast majority of boat owners out there are completely ignorant of the laws and rules associated with owning and operating a vessel on US Waters....both inland and open ocean.

Best advice given..take a Power Squadron, CG Aux, or other safe boating course; in Fla I am sure there are bunches around.

USCG is not the only coast guard on the planet... If you travel abroad always check for local regulations...

btw. little off topic but still nice for those who haven't seen it (German coast guard):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrYRY6kx550

have fun

One note, if you ever need to make that call, being able to pinpoint you position is critical. 3 miles offshore of a land based reference point is not enough. I would suggest adding a hand held gps to you cache of safety equipment.

as far as I remember from my sailing telephony exam, PAN PAN is used for any and all medical emergencies, which yours would fall under. Should you be stranded or pulled out to sea by a strong current or your kayak sinks, this is when you would call a mayday. But I agree with those who say you should take the course. Here in South Africa it is illegal to use a marine VHF or any other public radio network without a license.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom