What is the appropriate call on Marine VHF in these situations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have no other choice, then call the coasties. Dont expect them to jump right up and help thou. The response is not at all what you might think. Call them if your in trouble. No need to worry about mayday, pan pan, or securitay, just call them and tell them what your problem is. They will issue a marine assistance brodcast and a nearby boater will most likely respond to your location. You do need to know where your at thou...GPS can save a lot of time looking. BTW the "waterproof" VHF and GPSs are not. Keep them sealed in a dry bag or pelican case.
Not to sound like Im slamming the coasties but what they can do and what they are allowed to do are two different things. Do not expect them to respond like a typical 911 call on land. It seldom happens.

Sounds frightening. Every other country ive been to the coastguard response is immediate and measured.

Crazy Fingers:
Y do u think i am getting rescue+ VHF???? I am sick of him constantly get bent and i dunno what 2 do.

:wink:
You're kidding, right? How many times has he been bent?

And how many times have you not known what to do, now asking?

DandyDon:
You're kidding, right? How many times has he been bent?

And how many times have you not known what to do, now asking?

i dunno how many times he dont keep track or care. sometimes he come up with blood in his mask, couf up blood, or cant here for weeks after. i just dont like 2 be so scared

Haha, yes Don. I am just playing around, hence the atrocious grammar.

Pan Pan is the call for help needed but not life threating--yet. May Day is an emergency call requiring help--NOW. Running out of beer is not a May Day but I imagine a normally healthy person passing out and becoming non responsive would be judged a May Day call.

Despite all the Coast Guard hype and movies like The Guradian let's not forget that after Katrina many old people, sick people, babies were left stranded and dieing on top of a bridge for days with no water and nobody came to their rescue. The government cannot be counted upon for anything. I however and other boaters will respond but how we/you would go about getting the CG up for a medivac is a mystery to me. I guess they would come, maybe, I would not count on it. N

Nemrod:
I however and other boaters will respond but how we/you would go about getting the CG up for a medivac is a mystery to me.

Actually I don't necessarily need the CG in my scenarios. Just anyone who can get him back to shore and an ambulance faster than I can by paddling. That's pretty much anybody with an engine.

Good to know that even if the CG couldn't be drummed up, a boater might help out.

wedivebc:
I am pretty sure if you radio PAN PAN on ch16, coast guard radio will respond even if it is non life threating. In fact if you sing "jingle bells" on ch16 you will hear from the coast guard real soon. At least up here it works that way.
PAN PAN for emergency MAYDAY for life threatening is the general rule.

Absolutely correct. Three PAN PANs will get you immediate attention from the coast guard. It should be use in serious situations in which loss of life or boat is not imminent. If the situation gets more dire (bends get worse etc) you can easily upgrade to a Mayday. Pan Pan is still very serious and one can get themselves into trouble for its misuse.

String:
Sounds frightening. Every other country ive been to the coastguard response is immediate and measured.

I think the difference UK_US is the US coast guard is military with duty's other than sea rescue whiles the UK coast guard primary job is sea rescue.

I know a boater in UK waters can give a departure time, the area they are going to, and expected return time to the CG and questions will be asked if the boat has not returned on time. This is not a service offered in the US

Not just the uk, all other countries ive been to even those fairly third world like coastguard is basically an emergency service.
Even in the UK if the coastguard cant get to you the military will be scrambled with a helicopter etc.
Theres also the issue of international maritime law regarding mandatory assistance if able to a veseel in distress.

The UK safety watch feature is relatively new but an exceedingly good idea. When combined with CG66 registration its even better. Boat registered with database. Call them with a passage plan giving locations, time estimes, persons on board etc and then if you need help they (i) know roughly where you are and if they dont hear from you, they know where to start looking. Note this is also an option for shore diving, just phone them prior to commencing the dive.

don't forget that in some countries channel 16 is not official anymore (but we still listen to it too). All new VHF devices should have a digital distress button (part of GMDSS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Maritime_Distress_Safety_System) and you should use that!

but if someone is in danger use whatever you can to get help! better safe then sorry...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom