What is the appropriate call on Marine VHF in these situations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its technically illegal here to use without a licence for the radio and one for the operator.

However lesser of 2 evils. Coastguard would rather people go to sea with no licence but a radio than to go to sea with no radio at all due to not buying a licence.

But for a small amount of money and 1 day people can get properly trained in the international standards for VHF/DSC. Its daft not to do so.

The FAA waived the license requirement for rec vessels not operating out of US waters in 1997? I think. Your still responsable for knowing the laws governing the use of VHF radios. The USCG offers phamplets as well as Aux classes. At least read the phamplet if your getting a raido. There are also decals that will remind you which channels are used for what. Handy for the part time user.

In the US you do not need to be licensed to use your VHF/DSC. However if you choose to initiate your DSC you must register it with the FCC ..they will issue you an ID number which your DSC Mfg will program into your DSC ...add a GPS to that and you are good to go. However if you leave US waters and enter Mexican or Canadian waters you MUST have a FCC license to operate your VHF ...in Mexico if the local authorities dig your boat and you have a VHF w/o an FCC license ...consider it a gift to his new son in law if you have an ear for this message.

AGAIN I MUST STRESS TO ALL BOATERS ....TAKE THE BASIC SEAMANSHIP CLASS OFFERED BY CG AUX OR POWER SQUADRON ...

To the guy with the hand held. In a kayak on open water with your handheld your effective signal range is about 0.8-1.5 miles. If you aren't near a fellow boater out there chances are great the CG or any gov. agency is not going to get your distress call... you need an 8' whip antenna to reach shore. VHF technology is line of sight RF ...if you can't see the CG or Lifeguards Tower antennas they can't recieve your signal.

Edit/add: your DSC is useless without a GPS w/data link. Both devices must be connected together with a hardwired connection. In a kayak this is going to be an electrical mess.
Futhermore trying to keep the connections dry is going to a mess as well. All of that electronic gear and dive gear ...get the picture. In reality your handheld will work if you are near shore or within sight of fellow boaters.

Finally, I gotta stress it one more time educate yourself on the use and capabilities of your VHF considering the application you are trying to perfect.

any advise on this board unless that person is in the CG .

I would advise against only listening to the USCG, myself. I think you need information from many sources to best be able to predict realty and be able to prioritize your actions.

The course is a great idea, but I would advise you listen to actual calls and draw some assumptions based on common sense. How things actually go, versus what the regulations are.

Why do people think everyone in the CG is an expert on boats, radios, weather conditions, ect? With every single boarding I have had, and Ive had a lot,I have had to correct them on there regs as they dont realy know what they all are. Id say 80% of the people in the CG spend little or no time on the air at all. I have my comm radio operators permit but that does not mean I know everything about radios, just more than most.

Let me rephase: take a class on the proper usage of your new VHF. Learn all about its capabilities and your responsibilities as a VHF station. Learn from the experts FIRST then ask for OPINIONS from others about their experiences with the use of their VHF's.

Point is for example most people don't get into diving by asking others their opinions on how the gear works or the responsibilities involved with diving ...most people take a few classes from experts(certifications etc..) and then after educating themselves on the technologies, techniques, skills etc ...inquire from others about gear, specific techniques, technologies and skills.

Then again why not get your wreck diving certification from the folks here on SB and by pass all that silly information that your local LDS tech instructor has to offer.

Just to clarify the CG Aux and Power Squadron are civilian arms of the CG they are primarily made up of retired service people from the US Navy and CG, AF etc.. ...they are primarily boating hobiests who live the boating experience . In general they tend to be more versed on the regs and laws and usage of everything boating ...however like all other humans THEY DO NOT WALK ON WATER... however they do use the technologies which allow them to traverse H2O. Experts? arguably yes .. perfect? no . However like your LDS they have a specific ability to instruct you on proper use and responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom