What is nominal about nominal IP, most nominally?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8.5Bar on the point sounds like one of the AQ cold water regs.
There is really no point in tuning that to the decimal number, they work well over a wide range of IP.
The low IP of 8.5Bar results in a slightly higher cracking pressure and wob but increases the freezing resistance of the second stage.
So for warm water it would be even fine to tune it to 9.5Bar to have a slightly easier breathing reg...

She was A bit more preoccupied with her regulator, which insisted upon a single number, 8.5 bar . . .

I assume this is a Poseidon. Tell her to read the rest of the manual, particularly where it says "setting, final inspection".
At P1 which is 4351psi, i.e. full tank pressure, it's allowed from 8-11 bar and specifically says not to adjust it.
At P3 which is 290psi, i.e. empty, it says get it to 8.4-8.6bar which is adjustable. This is fairly tight, but it's still 122-125psi range which is quite attainable.

The IP at P1 is going to be what it's going to be

maybe suggest she religiously keep it at the upper 3/4 of the range for the first stage.
God help you if the reg creeps a little. :)
Thanks to a tip from Master AWAP my personal first stages are set near the top of the lower quarter of the specs. Over time, piston regs tend to increase in IP as the seat wears in, and of course the lubrication of the piston stem and head o-rings begins to disappear.

God help you if the reg creeps a little. :)

At P1 which is 4351psi, i.e. full tank pressure, it's allowed from 8-11 bar and specifically says not to adjust it.
At P3 which is 290psi, i.e. empty, it says get it to 8.4-8.6 bar which is adjustable. This is fairly tight, but it's still 122-125psi range which is quite attainable.

She finally insisted upon hooking up her rig to my test box, which I had suggested weeks ago. Her new digital IP gauge had her a bit concerned, because it's simply touchy; and my "eh, it's close enough for union work" had her teeth on edge. I should have instead just given her marzipan for Christmas.

She white-knuckled it for a few minutes this morning, while she and I futzed with things, over coffee; but all seem well within specs. It was still pegged at 8.5 bar after breakfast (she even insisted on a jpeg, heh, heh, heh) . . .

Now, we'll see if she ever gets in the water . . .

Back
Top Bottom