What is equivalent to Don Julio, or what is your favorite smoooth tequila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Find Extra Anejo. I found it at a Tequila shop in Cabo and it was the smoothest, best tasting tequila I have ever had. No tequila shivers with that stuff.

I'll see if Sallye can pop on. I know she's done some tequila tasting parties :)

Tequila is just like whiskey. It's all in how long it's been aged. That's why the oldest aged Tequila can cost you $120, even in Cozumel. Years ago, I went to the tequila factory (can't remember the name, on the road through the island). Bought a bottle of "young" tequila and the $90 aged bottle (prices 20 years ago). Huge, huge difference, just like whiskey.

Don is my wife's favorite because it doesn't have the bite that some do. What is your favorite comparable to Don Julio? I want to try something different but don't want to drink alone. Tanks.....Bill

WHICH Don Julio tequila? They produce five or six different tequilas. If you mean the Don Julio Añejo ("aged") tequila because your wife is comparing it with blanco and reposado tequilas that have a "bite," then maybe your wife just prefers añejo tequilas to blancos or reposados. There are loads of other brands of añejo tequilas. Don Julio seems kind of pricey to me--I think they are leveraging the brand name. Ask the liquor store guy in Cozumel to recommend an añejo. I have found all kinds of interesting things to drink by asking the liquor store guys--they are usually happy to help if you can describe your tastes.

Blanco just rested enough to put in the bottle.

Gold is a blend of Blanco and Reposado

Reposado is aged in a wood barrels from 2 to 11 months.

Anejo is aged at least a year, up to three years.

Extra Anejo is over 3 years.

There are also Blanco that is aged then filtered to remove color. These are the more expensive clear Tequila

. . .
There are also Blanco that is aged then filtered to remove color. These are the more expensive clear Tequila

That's interesting, as I have run across tequila connoisseurs who say that there are excellent blancos that do not, to use the OP's term, have a "bite" to them. Maybe these are those.

There is only alcohol and its dilutents. The rest is romantisiation.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom