What is equivalent to Don Julio, or what is your favorite smoooth tequila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's interesting, as I have run across tequila connoisseurs who say that there are excellent blancos that do not, to use the OP's term, have a "bite" to them. Maybe these are those.

One mentioned here was Mastro Dobel Diamante. From there website "A rule-defying blend of Extra-Añejo, Añejo and Reposado Tequila, aged in the finest European oak barrels and double filtered to produce a crystal clear liquid renowned for its character and smoothness. Recommended to be enjoyed neat or on the rocks."

Here is a website that list more of the filtered aged tequila from 2014. There are probably alot more now:
The List of Clarified Tequilas

Last edited:
La Cocay has a "house" Añejo that is exceptional. Extremely smooth and great flavor.

The last time I bought Don Julio Añejo in Cozumel, I came back to the States and found out I could buy it much cheaper in my local liquor store.

I guess Mezcal is out of the question then :wink:

(There are probably some high-end Mezcals, but my recollection is a taste halfway between tequila and kerosine. And then there's the worm...)

There's this one:
Herradura Directo de Alambique

Not aged, silver, and no bite.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.FaaQBv0UkBHdwZ_BRdqpiAEsCq%26pid%3D15.1&f=1.jpg

Last edited:
I think Patron Silver is so smooth that I sometimes wonder if it's really 80 proof. I also find Milagro anejo to be pretty decent, but for drinking straight I haven't found anything as easy on the palate as Patron.

After the first bottle they're all smooth! xD

No... seriously, I can't normally stand Tequila but I once tried one at a friends place (this friend is Mexican) that was less disgusting than the rest. I have no idea what it was called but we actually managed to drink enough of it to regret it the next day.

I tried something at a lunch meeting this week that I might try with tequila at some point. I saw someone mixing orange juice with butter milk. At first I was like o0 but then I tried it and really liked it. Put a little tequila in that and I bet it would be drinkable.

R..

Someone posted a picture earlier. Corralejo 99,000 Horas
Has won every tequila tasting I've shared it. It's not gone head to head with DJ 1942, but has beaten some other bottles that cost several times more. Smooth and warm. :)

For a bit less expensive (they're not $$$), I like Corralejo Reposado in the tall blue bottle. A little more bite, but still a great tasting tequila for sipping or mixing.

If you want to taste some fine tequilas, the shop underneath La Terazza at 5th and Salas (south end corner of the pedestrian plaza), has a tasting bar and some seriously great tequilas.

Someone posted a picture earlier. Corralejo 99,000 Horas
Has won every tequila tasting I've shared it. It's not gone head to head with DJ 1942, but has beaten some other bottles that cost several times more. Smooth and warm. :)

For a bit less expensive (they're not $$$), I like Corralejo Reposado in the tall blue bottle. A little more bite, but still a great tasting tequila for sipping or mixing.

If you want to taste some fine tequilas, the shop underneath La Terazza at 5th and Salas (south end corner of the pedestrian plaza), has a tasting bar and some seriously great tequilas.
Been there, done that! Great place to taste your night away:)

Back
Top Bottom