What is done to regs during annual service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas:
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. Obviously the primary 2nd stage is disassembed, overhauled and tested but what about the octo/safe second; is it standard practice to also overhaul and test it during the annual service?

I hate that what if feeling at 80 feet. :wink:

ScubaTexas:
what about the octo/safe second; is it standard practice to also overhaul and test it during the annual service?
IT should be serviced when the rest fo the reg is done. Generally octos live a very hard life and are usually in need of service worse than the primary due to being drug through sand, poorly rinsed and seldom used and will often have all sorts of problems such as stuck exhaust valves, lots of sand and salt deposits, punctured diaphragms, etc.

My LDS just serviced my reg setup. He replaced the seat in the primary. Got the old seat back. Since the agreement was if I bought it from him any service would be free it cost me nothing. He probably could have not replaced it this year looking at the condition of the old seat. He replaced it just because it might have caused me a problem.

Some of the posts in response have prompted another question:

When the reg comes back from the LDS after its annual service what do you look for and what tests can you do to make sure they did the job right and it's going to work the next time it's used?

I guess it is the same if you wanted to check to see if your car had the work actually done. You have to have knowledge of the work that was done.

Dive4Life:
I guess it is the same if you wanted to check to see if your car had the work actually done. You have to have knowledge of the work that was done.

That's kind of what I thought. Thanks.

ScubaTexas:

When the reg comes back from the LDS after its annual service what do you look for and what tests can you do to make sure they did the job right and it's going to work the next time it's used?

I get back all the old parts and a test sheet showing IP, Flow Rates, Cracking Pressure, etc., signed by the tech that did the work.

Terry

ScubaTexas:

I think hyper-limits post illustrates the importance of getting your parts back. That way you know what condition your stuff was in to begin with.It also shows you need to find a tech you trust to work on your life-support equipment.
Best test is to go diving. One note though. Some people experience a slight free-flow a few dives after a rebuild. That is because the valve poppet takes the shape of the LP seat and the indentation allows air to start flowing. What I do is set the valve for minimal cracking pressure then tighten it down just a touch. I always tell the customer to come back for a tweak after a few dives and then they get the optimum cracking pressure set up.

Wait!

What does mean "REBUILD"?
Is this an interchangeable jargon like an overhaul or ordinary annual service?
Please clarify me?

hoosier:
Wait!

What does mean "REBUILD"?
Is this an interchangeable jargon like an overhaul or ordinary annual service?
Please clarify me?

There are people who think you just throw a set of o-rings into a reg and call it good but to properly service the reg you need to clean the scale from metal parts, inspect parts for wear and damage that are not replaced and replace and properly lubricate the consumable parts. Then re-assemble and test the reg for proper operation. The complete procedure should take an hour or so per reg. The result should be a reg that acts as good as new or better. I would call that a rebuild. A reg service may include that amount of detail or maybe less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom