What is done to regs during annual service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone provide some insight or point me in the direction of a source that details what is done to a regulator setup during the annual service?

Well you see, it involves chicken bones, rooster feathers, face paint and lots of dancing, chanting, and general confusion to the average diver......

OK, really it should be just a full disassembly, cleaning, and replacement of all seals, O-rings and parts that show wear. Then it is reassembled and set back up to factory specifications. In short it should come back to you in factory new working condition. Its not hard, and anyone who is mechanically inclined can learn how to do it. With the right tools and simple test equipment you can service them youself and save the $35.00 annual fee for labor, but why bother for the little cost involved (note: local price quoted, yours may vary). But just like any mechanical device, like your car, it can be ignored and still work....for a while. But considering it is a life support device, I say its a good idea to take every step available to ensure it works properly. Some people don't, and claim its just a money grab. Darwin had theories that included those individuals.

A friend of mine decided to get one of his regulator service after spending all winters in his shed.
So he bought the reg to the LDS for servicing. A week later he went back to pick his reg but it wasn't ready yet. So the following week he went back pick up his reg, talk to the owner who told him that he did a complete overhaul on his reg. charging over $60 for it. My buddy got back home and decided to check the second stage to see if any o' ring were replaced. As soon as he open the front of the second stage he could see a bunch of spider web left there from the winter spend in the shed.

pt40fathoms:
Well you see, it involves chicken bones, rooster feathers, face paint and lots of dancing, chanting, and general confusion to the average diver......
Oh, good, I just had my regs serviced and I was hoping they didn't do anything weird. :439:

Hyper-limits:
A friend of mine decided to get one of his regulator service after spending all winters in his shed.
So he bought the reg to the LDS for servicing. A week later he went back to pick his reg but it wasn't ready yet. So the following week he went back pick up his reg, talk to the owner who told him that he did a complete overhaul on his reg. charging over $60 for it. My buddy got back home and decided to check the second stage to see if any o' ring were replaced. As soon as he open the front of the second stage he could see a bunch of spider web left there from the winter spend in the shed.

There are countless stories out there about people who take their cars in for a tune up, get charged for parts and service, only to end up getting ripped off. Should you never get your car tuned up because of this? Or should you simply not visit those less than honest shops?

The same holds true for the LDS! What is your point with this post? The same old "a freind of mine" storys have been floating around every industry for years. Unless you are going to name names and help stop this rip off, your post is usless at best!

This is why a respectable shop saves the old parts in a baggie and gives them to you upon return of the regulator. Of course those parts can be forged, but who wants to take the time to make up fake parts baggies.

Matt

Corigan:
This is why a respectable shop saves the old parts in a baggie and gives them to you upon return of the regulator. Of course those parts can be forged, but who wants to take the time to make up fake parts baggies.

Matt
I got my old parts back, and being in the valve and regulator business, took them out to the lab and inspected them. All the techs and engineers were pretty interested also.

pt40fathoms:
There are countless stories out there about people who take their cars in for a tune up, get charged for parts and service, only to end up getting ripped off. Should you never get your car tuned up because of this? Or should you simply not visit those less than honest shops?

The same holds true for the LDS! What is your point with this post? The same old "a freind of mine" storys have been floating around every industry for years. Unless you are going to name names and help stop this rip off, your post is usless at best!

Totally disagree with you, my post may have been useless to you but my point was that some shops rip you off, that it. The question was ask what get done during regulator annual service and for some of us absolutely nothing.
However I do agree with you that not a reason to not get your reg service at an honest LDS.
I will not name names of the SB I just don't think it is the right place for this.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom