What is best "spare air" for the Ranger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maximillion

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have recently purchased a Ranger and finally got to dive it the other day - loved it! I don't like having a full Octo reg hanging off the first stage, so I've been thinking of getting one form or another of "spare air" (Air2, Octo-Z, etc) set up for the inflator on the Ranger.

Recommendations? Will any of the others out there fit on the Ranger, or do I need to use the Octo-Z? Benefits of using it over some of the others (ScubaPro Air2, for instance?)

Appreciate your thoughts/comments/advice.

MAXIMILLION

Almost all of the "alternate air sources" will fit the Ranger BC.

The Octo-Z has the "BX system" which allows you to remove it from the BC and store it with your regulators, since most people take better care of their regs than their BC...

It also has the garden hose fitting, which will allow you to rinse your inner bladder and get all the salt residue out!

I think it is the best alt. air source on the market, but I am clearly biased!!! :)

I understand you are new to diving, but it will help in your communications if you learn that the term "spare air" does not refer to octopus regulators. It doesn't matter if they are combined with the LPI or not. A Spare Air is a stand alone product designed to give you a few breaths while underwater. They are not what you are discussing in this thread.

Almost all of the "alternate air sources" will fit the Ranger BC.

The Octo-Z has the "BX system" which allows you to remove it from the BC and store it with your regulators, since most people take better care of their regs than their BC...

It also has the garden hose fitting, which will allow you to rinse your inner bladder and get all the salt residue out!

I think it is the best alt. air source on the market, but I am clearly biased!!! :)

I'm not as biased as Scott. I paid real money for an Octo-Z on my Ranger/Brigade/Tech BC and love it.

It breaths well and I really appreciate the BX fitting. That allows the Octo-Z to stay with the rest of the regulator for cleaning and storage, which eliminates most of the causes for inflator valve failure. It also allows me to rinse out the bladder with a garden hose, which is very convenient.

what is it you don't like about having the regular octo on your reg?

a vote for the octo-z here
throws out heaps of air, never free flowed and the disconnect to clean the BC is handy

I have recently purchased a Ranger and finally got to dive it the other day - loved it! I don't like having a full Octo reg hanging off the first stage, so I've been thinking of getting one form or another of "spare air" (Air2, Octo-Z, etc) set up for the inflator on the Ranger.

Recommendations? Will any of the others out there fit on the Ranger, or do I need to use the Octo-Z? Benefits of using it over some of the others (ScubaPro Air2, for instance?)

Appreciate your thoughts/comments/advice.

MAXIMILLION

As mentioned what you are trying change is your alternate second stage, commonly referred to as the octopus. Spare Air is the brand name of a tine air cylinder about the size of a can of whipped cream topping with an integrated regulator and it's of dubious value.

Your concern centers around the hose hanging from your regulator. It's true that a discrete alternate second stage requires a hose but that is perfectly acceptable. If this in pursuit of streamlining then look elsewhere for improvement. Do make sure that the alternate second stage is positioned someplace that is close to the body and readily accessible.

As for going to a combination inflater / alternate second stage I will ask you to consider this vintage posting.

Pete

The Atomic SS1 will also work on the Ranger and has the same garden hose fitting to flush the BCD and allow it to be transported with the regs. It has gotten alot of good review but is more expensive than the Octo-Z.

All,

I greatly appreciate your insights - thanks. I understand your bias, Scott - and appreciate it. So far, I'm impressed with the Zeagle line and feel like I got more than my money's worth with the Ranger. I'll likely go with the Octo-Z as it is taylor made for the product and I do like the feature of the garden hose wash out.

As for the term "spare air", I appreciate the "gurus" in the crowd correcting me. I used the term incorrectly in my description. My appologies.
Spare air, in my book is just that - extra air available to me when I may need it - and a completely redundant system from my own.

An octopus as I see it is really only a fix for one of two problems - a failed primary second stage, or a buddy without air. I was taught in 1974 when I first started diving the technique of "buddy breathing", sharing my reg with my buddy, which had at it's core an assumption that my buddy was close at hand and had enough air for us both! Both potentially poor assumptions in even good times. I wonder if, in our haste as a community to make buddy breathing easier and provide an alternate 2nd stage in the event of a failure, (a bad first stage is not fixed by an octo) if we have overlooked the possibility of the REAL spare air solution - perhaps we should encourage the use of a complete second bottle ("SpareAir brand or simply an AL40 or other option) with completely separate first and second stage reg, a complete redundancy for back-up? An Octopus, but attached to a completely different first stage and smaller - perhaps BC integrated and streamline - bottle?

I believe that's what most Tech divers use and in my former profession, completly redundant systems were the name of the game (vice a spare part for a singularly redundant system, ala Octopus or Octo-Z or Air2).

Anyhow - as Octos go, I do like the idea of a close to the body option (like the Octo-Z or Air2) vice another full reg. BUT I really like the thought, as I get more into diving once again, of a completely redundant system with secondary bottle and secondary reg. Again, perhaps Zeagle could figure out a way to add one INTERNALLY to the BC??? In the bladder perhaps? Just thinnking out loud now . . .

Your thoughts appreciated and welcomed! I'm all ears! (For those who know me, that will have two meanings :)

MAX

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom