What is Animal Planet Thinking? Why a lionfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not? They're beautiful and exotic-looking fish. There's nothing evil about them just because they happen to have been dumped in the Atlantic where they are not endemic.

I agree with Quero - theyre actually quite pretty when they are where they are supposed to be. They were once worth a kings ransom - my father used catch them in the 60s on special order from salt water aquarium enthusiasts who were looking for the big ticket item, a lionfish. Guess they went out of fashion and out of the tank into where they shouldnt have been released. Cant imagine they swam there by themselves.

I didn't bother looking at the video, but if this is a promotion that is global vs one for the US and Caribbean region, nothing wrong with lionfish. They are incredibly intriguing. Of course I did find it "unusual" (but not unexpected) that I saw far more lionfish in the Bahamas where they are not native than in the Philippines where they are.

I am probably more sensitized because I live in Florida and all I hear is lionfish derbies, lionfish cookbook, etc etc. I guess i expect animal planet to promote responsible stuff but then it IS on TV and all... Lol. If that were expected TV wouldn't have shows glorifying deep fried food, dangerous acts of stupidity, and reckless drunk people and on and on. I wouldn't mind winning a tank but i will pass on the lionfish. And i do agree lionfish are intriguing but would like them not to eat all the other fish. And i guess that won't happen... Just found it very curious...

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4

I guess i expect animal planet to promote responsible stuff
And you are right to have that expectation, but the program is called Animal Planet, not Animal America or Animal Florida. You may be "sensitized" by living in an area where lionfish are invasive, but actually it's more likely that you may simply be a bit parochial and not thinking beyond your corner of the world.

Ok maybe so. Wow. I thought it was interesting. I have been diving only here and PR and saw lionfish in numbers in PR. I hear allot about lionfish. I am a new diver and in the amount of time I have been diving I have heard more about lionfish than just about any other fish. I have set about to learn about conservation where I live and I was simply saying, seems surprising to me to see a cute little lionfish promoting a contest. Of course i realize there's allot more ocean for me to explore but I have only just begun.

There's a lot of nice diving in Florida, and I saw some stuff there that I never see over here, like lots of spider crabs, and HUGE ones. Each part of the world has creatures that are endearing where they are meant to be but unwelcome where they have been introduced. You've been to Puerto Rico? Then you know about their cute little froggies they're so fond of, the coquí, right? Well those critters were introduced to Hawaii accidentally on some imported plants, and as they have no predators, they are eating all the insects of the islands up. Just like the lionfish in Florida, but frogs. So in Hawaii they organize coqui hunts and try hard to get rid of as many as they can. Just like the lionfish in Florida. What I mean to say is that there's nothing inherently evil in relation to coqui frogs or lionfish, but people sort of lose sight of that, somehow, and when that happens, our view of the world gets narrowed.

I understand. I mean maybe a different fish would be cuter anyways as a tank fish to win. There's allot i don't understand about why corporations do what they do... Like all observations this is just another one.

---------- Post added September 12th, 2013 at 11:33 AM ----------

I don't believe lionfish are evil. I believe animal planet might be lol!

---------- Post added September 12th, 2013 at 11:34 AM ----------

Ok just kidding... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom