What is a legit logged dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItsBruce:
Log what you figure ought to be logged. Surfacing because someone calls a dive and then resuming the dive does not count as two dives in my book. Cleaning the bottoms on 20 pleasure boats in one day does not count as 20 dives... though each boat should be logged to show it was cleaned.

Advancing a certification is not like a video game where you want to accumulate "points." Develop your skills. In the process, you will log good dives.

Well said.

This is my own rule that I impose on myself.
15ft for 15 minutes
20ft for 10 minutes
25ft for 5 minutes
anything over 33 ft.
And All blackwater dives

mobster75:
So going by that 20 minute min rule my AOW Deep dive yesterday to 100 ft for 15 mins wouldn't be logged..... Yeah... that one is definitely going in the book :wink:
Nope thats counted....at least if you wanna go by PADI's definition.
Which is;
Any dive deeper than 5 metres (15ft) that was 20 mins or more or you used 1400 litres of air.
An 95 steel tank holds 2830 litres of air. so about half a tank.

i had a 7 minute dive that i logged because it was the one where i had a valve rolled only 1/4 turn on and it quit on me by the time we hit 60 feet and i went OOA on a buddy and did an air-sharing ascent to the surface. learned a lot more in that 7 minutes than in most of my 60+ minute dives.

nowadays, i just go through my computer every few months and take down dive time and length, and i note where it was if i can remember it. anything less than 20 mins is usually combined with other dives that day. classes or deco support is usually collapsed into a single dive. i'm getting to the point where if a dive doesn't involve scooters or helium or decompression obligation its really not worth logging. we've dove a few sites that were completely new divesites and i've made more extensive notes about those for current predictions and such, but i don't keep those notes in a log book.

As said it's your log. The primary purpuse is as a personal keepsake and as record of your experinces and learnings. If you have good records and ever need to present them in seeking advanced training they can always choose to not count some dives but nothin says you can't record them there.

I consider a dive 1 trip into the water that gets us under.
Surfacing for a lost diver or bearings check does not initaiate a new dive.
Going back into the shallows to blow off some air after a shore dives does not count as an additional dive.
Calling a dive after loosing a diver 3 times in 10 minutes does count. It was a learning experience and it's recorded.
Anything shorter than 10 min. or in a pool gets logged but I do not increment the count.
Some situations may be unique, just record them for what they ares.

Just decide what you want to track and have at it.

Pete

Agree with the above--your log book should be useful to YOU. I don't log pool dives, but then again I don't do any. A bunch of short dives, using up one tank, to my mind is one dive. So, when taking Rescue, I logged two dives (one each tank) for the day, one "dive" in the morning, the other in the afternoon, even though each involved many ascents and descents. Same thing with AOW class, two "dives" in one day while doing the shallow tasks.

And I've done a 50-minute, 15-foot dive (Sandwich Town Beach, MA) and logged it, so I don't think depth is critical. Really, buoyancy control is more difficult at a shallow depth, so it's not like 15 feet is "easier" than 30.

This way, you have a record of what you wore, what tank/gas, how much weight, what the site was like, etc, to refer back to later. Just be internally consistent, so you know what you're "counting" as a dive.

So, I have 120 dives--I guess ;-)

Upon asking (I posted a similar thread here too), my diveshop said: "20 ft for 15min or more"; SSI (my certification) said "If you feel they can be logged then log them."

I haven't logged anything in the pool, or my shark cage trip from last year (surface cage), and I won't log my upcoming shark cages in Isla Guadalupe - though I will journal them, from a photographic and existential standpoint. I will be going in the submersible cage in Guadalupe, so I will log those; 20fsw for 30 minutes sounds like a "dive" to me, hookah or no... :wink:

At this point in my diving experience I log mainly for training and advancement, but once I get my specialties and AOW I'll do it more for journal purposes.

My PADI Instructor manual says OPEN water training dives must be in OPEN Water(not confined water,hence why there is no place to log confined water dives in their logbook that comes with the crewpak)
1.must spend a majority of the time atleast at 15'
and
2. be submerged 20 minutes or breathe 50 cf of compressed gas. for it to be a logged training dive.
that being said the Rescue diver course logged dives are different since most of it is on the surface,
but if its not a training dive,to each his own

I have always used the rule where if any 2 of the 3 criteria are met:
1. 15 feet
2. 15 minutes
3. 1500 psi.

and confined water dives don't officially count.

Back
Top Bottom