What is a "good" dive buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good dive buddy always buys the first and last rounds...

Seriously, lots of good info on what a good dive buddy is in this thread.

That said, the most important aspect of a buddy to me is knowing they'll be ok with either of us calling the dive for any reason. Nothing is more dangerous than a buddy who is afraid to speak (or signal) up when they have an issue or who takes offense if you do so. If it isn't right, it isn't right and a good buddy understands that.
Yes ! That's right. Even if (especially if ?)you are the less experienced diver. Do not worry it makes you look bad (it does not). If your buddy does not accept that you might have a problem or that you need to stop the dive, then dive with someone else.

A good dive buddy doesn't go solo diving and bring their buddy along with them. Had that happen to me on one of my first ocean dives... then he nails me in the common peroneal (nerve bundle in your thigh) with his tank doing some stupid dolphin flip thing to go back under water. If I could have moved my leg to swim after him I probablly would have punched him in the face underwater.

--Shannon

A good buddy is not one who says I'll meet you at the site and you are left hanging around waiting and he never shows up. PS: Looking for a new dependable dive buddy.

When I move out to So. Cal (After I graduate), I'll be in the need for dive buddies. I'm always early so no waiting for me. Well... you might have to wait since I don't actually live there yet. :p

Hope you find a good one!

--Shannon

congrats. ahead of time on Graduating. So.CA has great diving opportunities.

I went diving in San Diego this past weekend. As I was travelling alone, I didn't have a dive buddy prior to getting on the boat. There were 3 other newly certified beginners on the boat, and we were all going to stick together, pairing up 2 and 2. Plus, an advanced diver (Todd) was nice enough to volunteer to hang with us, just in case. And then a second advanced diver didn't have a buddy, so she was joining our little group.

We got into the water, all started to head down the anchor line, and I hung out at the bottom, waiting for the others. The 2 advanced divers came down, did the "OK" sign, and then Todd gave the "let's go" sign. I quickly wrote on my slate "Where's others?", because they weren't in sight. He signaled that they were not coming (I found out later that they didn't feel comfortable, and just hung out holding the anchor line the whole time). I was then really glad that I had Todd, or I'd have been stuck on the anchor line too, because I wasn't diving alone, and I wasn't about to try to talk any of them into letting go.

But I was even more happy that Todd was my buddy when it came time to surface. I was underweighted! It was very hard to come up slowly once my air was more than half gone in my tank. Then it was actually impossible to stay at the safety stop!

Luckily, since I had an advanced diver with me, he knew what to do. He actually HELD me down!! He really saved my skin!

Plus, he was considerate enough to come up when I was ready, because I was freezing, but he was in a dry suit and probably could have stayed down a lot longer!

I learned a lot about what I'd like in a dive buddy, and for now, as a beginner I want someone who knows what to do in an "emergency". Or has more of a chance of knowing what to do than a beginner would.

Thanks Todd!! (he actually don't go online, so he won't see this, but maybe he'll get the good vibes!)

You're talking about what you need in a buddy but in reality you also need to concern yourself with the fact that you are someones buddy. In other words you also have to prepare yourself that you may need to assist your buddy. Not just the other way around.

What if after you've ended the dive & get to the surface and your DB won't tell you what was wrong or if he was low on air, then when you're back at the hotel he says he ended the dive because he was bored? How do you deal with that?

That sounds like a rather selfish dive buddy. I mean, it's one thing if he wasn't feeling well, was having equipment issues, was cold, or just felt "wrong" about the dive. But boredom?? Please!! What is he expecting? A Las Vegas Review show?

Back
Top Bottom