What is a "good" dive buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAddictedLisa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In another thread I asked people to tell me what they thought was the ONE most important thing they could tell a beginner if they could only tell one thing. Of course, there isn't ONE thing. But the variance of responses (and the fact that quite a few "broke" the ONE suggestion part of the thread :wink:) was interesting.

One response though, was to find a dive buddy you can rely on. That got me thinking...

What makes someone a good dive buddy? Are there certain things (or characteristics)you should look for or avoid?

I don't think it should just be that you are both divers of the same or similiar skill level. It can't be simply that you're friends and want to be dive buddies. There's got to be more to it.

So, experienced divers, with or without your own dive buddy (or buddies) ... give me (and the other new divers) your advice/expertise/views. Thanks!

A good dive buddy is one that does not get YOU into trouble....:)

When I took up diving my friends were experienced divers and one was a DM. Diving with people of an advanced level such as Rescue,DM or instructor teaches you lots.

On a dive boat on a trip in the tropics its often a crap shoot as to what you will get for a buddy as you will probably be matched up with a group of the same experience level.

Remember, that buddy is also your alternate air source should something go bad.

Ron

In another thread I asked people to tell me what they thought was the ONE most important thing they could tell a beginner if they could only tell one thing. Of course, there isn't ONE thing. But the variance of responses (and the fact that quite a few "broke" the ONE suggestion part of the thread :wink:) was interesting.

One response though, was to find a dive buddy you can rely on. That got me thinking...

What makes someone a good dive buddy? Are there certain things (or characteristics)you should look for or avoid?

I don't think it should just be that you are both divers of the same or similiar skill level. It can't be simply that you're friends and want to be dive buddies. There's got to be more to it.

So, experienced divers, with or without your own dive buddy (or buddies) ... give me (and the other new divers) your advice/expertise/views. Thanks!

You should try to find a dive buddy that you can dive with often.

This person needs to be:
  • Reliable as you are potentially putting your life in each others hands.
  • Some one you can work together with, this does not require you to get along with them, but it is nice also.
  • You need to either be or be able to get familiar with each other, to the point where you know what the other one is thinking some of the time with out talking.

here's an article that explains a little bit of dive buddy .. there's probably stuff in there that might be off base for you, but read it a few times if it becomes an interest to you.
When reading, remember this: Bible quotes: " Test everything, Hold on to what is good! "

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/44823-what-dir.html

here are some highlights:
... a buddy team which allows you to share the experience, as well as providing the redundancy of the most important piece of safety equipment; the brain.

...emphasis on buddy and situational awareness. If your buddy is not close enough to assist you in the event of an emergency, then what is the point in diving with one? Additionally, if your buddy does stay close, but does not keep in communication with you, then they are still not displaying good buddy skills. You and your buddy also need to be aware of your surroundings. Are you stirring up silt? Are you damaging coral? Has the current shifted? Are you maintaining planned depth and times? Are you monitoring your air supply? Do you know your present position in relation to your exit point?

in short, a dive buddy is someone you can trust your life with. remember you are underwater.. something goes wrong and "most" of the time people die!

welcome to the underworld...

be sure to do some searching around the board for further information..

hope this helps

Tony

spartandir hit upon what I think is the most crucial "good buddy" attribute. A buddy needs to be aware of you, as in where you are, and what is going on with you. It doesn't matter if your buddy is God's gift to diving, if they don't know where you are and what is going on with you, they can't be of any benefit to you when you really, really need them.

I also like for a dive buddy to either have good dive skills, or be attempting to gain them. Also, someone that I enjoy spending time with above water is nice, as you will probably spend just as much time gearing up and during surface intervals as you will actually diving with them.

.......and, if you are really fortunate it is your significant other.

See this was what I was thinking, when I started this thread. I have a friend who wants to be my dive buddy. He also just started diving (about a month after I did) and only just got certified.

While I definitely would like to plan to go out diving together when the weather gets better, I'm a bit nervous about the two of us being brand new beginners (less than 10 dives under our belts, including the dives for getting certified).

I kinda feel that I'd like someone who is at least a tad bit more experienced than I am, JUST IN CASE!! I don't mean that I want to completely rely on my buddy to be the only one responsible for safety on the dive. I am going to be safe and follow what I was taught. But someone with a bit more experience may be able to notice little things, like if I'm ascending too quickly, or they may know navigation better than I do. Yes, I'd like to be able to learn these things, but if I try and I'm screwing up, I'd feel better if there was someone with me that knew I was screwing up! Plus, before and after dives, a more experience diver may be better for asking questions that could come up for a new diver.

I don't want to hurt this guy's feelings, but if I'm not feeling comfortable about being buddies when the spring comes and we start diving in our area, then I'm just going to have to hurt feelings, I guess. Better to feel safe, then to save face.

There's many aspects to a great buddy from their personality and dive style to just being a compatible person who you enjoy diving with. Sometimes a great buddy is someone is challenges you and pushes your training and skills while other buddies are simply reliable, fun people who you enjoy diving with.

That said, the most important aspect of a buddy to me is knowing they'll be ok with either of us calling the dive for any reason. Nothing is more dangerous than a buddy who is afraid to speak (or signal) up when they have an issue or who takes offense if you do so. If it isn't right, it isn't right and a good buddy understands that.

Someone who you can trust with any situation. My buddy is sweet enough to help me get out of gear when I am stuck before he dies laughing:shakehead: But, I believe I can trust him with any problem that would present itself and feel that I am safe.

Hi Lisa,
If you don't feel comfortable diving with another newbie then when he wants to dive get a 3rd more experinced diver to go along with you until you feel that you or your friend is experinced enough.

Hi Ted,
I deffinitely agree with what you said.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom