What is a Good Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a VR3 and like it thus far. However, be aware that it has a hella learning curve. I use it in conjunction with my VEO250 in gauge mode.

Lot's of good advice above. I concur with waiting for your classes. Just learn as much as you can about the possibilities before you pull out the credit card. I would hate to see you make a super expensive mistake.

I dive the Uwatec Tec 2g. It can be used as a botom timer, or also lets you do 1 gas switch. Easy to switch depth, time, and ppO2 alarms. I also really like the smart track software that goes with the comp. I think it's a great computer and it is priced right.

I dive the Uwatec Tec 2g. It can be used as a botom timer, or also lets you do 1 gas switch. Easy to switch depth, time, and ppO2 alarms. I also really like the smart track software that goes with the comp. I think it's a great computer and it is priced right.

Me too

I do exactly the sort of diving the OP is considering, a bit longer & deeper with some deco, sometimes using richer nitrox mixes to accelerate the deco. I usually use tables to plan the dive, but use my computer on the actual dive.

I dive a Hel02 and love it. Up to 8 gasses with switching underwater. Takes a little bit to figure it out, but it's pretty intuitive. I also use a Veo250 in gauge mode with SPG as backup. I will also second a couple previous posts, consult with your instructor!!! They are a great source of information. Find out what your program requires. Some teach only tables, some expect you to have a computer and/or use dive planning software. Enjoy, and take your time getting into tech. It's a lot of fun, but a lot of work and a significant investment to do safely. In my opinion, worth it though.

Mike

I need some opinions on the Oceanic VT-3 AI... Seems to be a nice device and people like it.

When I started my adv. nitrox/deco class I was worried that I only had a veo180. The instructor said that we would be using our computers in gauge mode anyway. Since then I've picked up a Mares M2 and use both in gauge mode. For tables We have been using v-planer on a lap top brought to the dive site with us. This seams like the most cost effective solution I have found. Chances are you will be printing out tables from v-planner an backup anyway.

You are going to find a different opinion from every person on here. There was a good post from someone with a lot of time on their hands with questions to ask yourself.

My Opinion: Remote transmitters have no place in technical diving. I dive a liquivision and love it. It is gross overkill for someone doing light technical diving (3 gasses or less and no He) but it is so sweet :)...

VR3, LV, Dive Rite NitekX, you can't go wrong. All of the other reacreational computers that can be used for the light tec diving that I mentioned above are all very similar in my opinion and are often made by the same manufacturer.

I'm afraid, with the set of hardware problems that have been reported, & the 1 I'v experienced, I couldn't in good conscience recommend the X1 at the moment.

What I can say is, as long as the pressure sensor in mine lasts it a great computer. When/if it fails again, it will be a very expensive paper weight.

I am considering the suunto vytec without the transmitter. Any advice?

I have a Vytec DS, and it is a great computer. It's particularly good in the sense that when in gauge mode it will display seconds.

My first Vytec crapped out just a month after the warranty expired, the Vytecs come with a two year warranty. I think the Vyper Air (which is the "new" Vytec) comes with a five year warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom