What is a Good Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am going to buy a new computer soon. I am considering taking some tech classes within the next year. I would like to get a computer that I can use now but will also be sutable for the tech classes I want to take. Originally I wanted to get the Suunto Cobra but I talked to a local dive shop who recommended ths Suunto Cobra 2 because you can switch gases during the dive with it. I do not know much about this more advance diving and dont want to end up buying two computers. Any advice?

A computer should wait until you actually take your tech classes. Reason being most, if not all, entry level tech classes will have you using tables. If you really want a new comp for entry level tech buy a simple bottom timer to back up the computer you have now. Oh and don't buy anything in a console. Wrist mounted gauges are what you'll need.

I am going to buy a new computer soon. I am considering taking some tech classes within the next year. I would like to get a computer that I can use now but will also be sutable for the tech classes I want to take. Originally I wanted to get the Suunto Cobra but I talked to a local dive shop who recommended ths Suunto Cobra 2 because you can switch gases during the dive with it. I do not know much about this more advance diving and dont want to end up buying two computers. Any advice?

Why not just buy a Uwatec Bottom Timer for now and use tables. Since you are new to the tech world, you are probably not sure how far into it you will get, so save the money that you would spend on a computer for now. Most likely your instructor is going to make you use tables anyway, not a computer. After you get finished with your training, you will be more informed to make a choice about a computer. You can never outgrow a standard bottom timer and tables. Good luck.

Edit: Jim Lap beat me to the answer

Are you going to be doing deco stops short or long? You will also definitely need 2 computers. Look in to Cochran emc16. with 1fo2 for nitrox added on it, also look at the Galeo computer, that is a start.

I am going to buy a new computer soon. I am considering taking some tech classes within the next year. I would like to get a computer that I can use now but will also be sutable for the tech classes I want to take. ... and dont want to end up buying two computers.
Jim Lapenta:
A computer should wait until you actually take your tech classes. ... Wrist mounted gauges are what you'll need.
Jim's advice (and contender's) is very reasonable. If you don't need to buy a computer now, you might best defer the purchase until you start tech training. If you are going to buy a computer anyway, then there may be merit in at least considering a computer that allows gas-switching, and will handle several (3) gases. If you buy a new bottom timer you will probably spend at least $200 anyway. If you can find a used Uwatec for less, that is great. But, if you are going to spend that much on a timer, and you want to buy a computer anyway, you may consider spending more to get a computer you can use now, and in the future. But, there really is not one and only one way to proceed. A personal odyssey as one example - some years ago, I bought a Vytec as my first computer, for four reasons: 1) Suunto had a good reputation for instrumentation outside of diving; 2) I was thinking of technical training in the future and wanted a multi-gas computer; 3) I thought the availability of wireless air integration was neat; 4) I wanted to buy ONE computer that would meet my foreseeable needs. Turns out, 1) Suunto also had some problems with the depth sensors on at least one batch of Vytecs - my unit has never had a problem but the Suunto reputation has suffered a bit among some divers, whose units did have a problem, 2) for most of my tech training and diving, up until trimix, I used primarily timers and tables (although a computer was required as a back-up); 3) I didn't buy a transmitter until two years after I bought the computer, then I didn't move the transmitter over to my doubles regs until about a year ago so I didn't even use the air integration feature for several years several years of singles diving, or for several years after I moved to doubles; and 4) I bought a used Nitek He when I started trimix, and utlimately bought a LiquidVision X1, and use the He and Vytec as back-ups. So, I certainly didn't meet the goal of buying only one computer (or even 2). If I were to do it again, knowing what I know now, and diving as I dive now, I would buy a Helo2. It is helium-capable, offers wireless air integration, and while not inexpensive, is one of the few helium-capable units that retails for under $1000 (I will sell my Vytec and He on eBay and buy one for redundancy with the X1). Having said that, I think the X1 is probably the best computer around, simply because of the OED display and tap / buttonless interface. But, it is not for the faint of financial heart :) and, even though promoted as not just for tec diving, it is a bit of overkill for most recreational diving.

Last edited:
also depends on the tech you're thinking of. if you want to do some fairly simple deco dives, a 2 gas computer will go a long way and there are several that are inexpensive. i really like my nitek duo, though i'm not sure they make that version anymore. if you want to do deep deep dives and are thinking trimix, you'll need at least 3 gases with helium. if you're planning on a rebreather, that's a whole 'nother computer need, the ability to monitor o2 sensors and connect with (i think it's called) a fischer connector. colliam notwithstanding ;D , most tech folks don't use integration.

so that's just a further explanation of what has been said above. if you don't have solid tech class plans, don't get anything right now. if you need a new one now, a fairly simple 2 gas model will do fine for a long time. if you *know* you're going rebreather, an x1 or vr3/vx or predator. but if you're not sure, hold off.

A computer should wait until you actually take your tech classes. Reason being most, if not all, entry level tech classes will have you using tables. If you really want a new comp for entry level tech buy a simple bottom timer to back up the computer you have now. Oh and don't buy anything in a console. Wrist mounted gauges are what you'll need.

OTOH, it may be nice to run his computer in parallel with the tables he's learning so that in the future he'll have a direct basis on which to correlate his computer profiles from his table profiles.

Few questions ....

1) Form Factor: Wrist or Console ?
2) Air Integrated or Not? If yes, Wireless or Hose ?
3) Integrated compass or Not? If Yes, Analogue or Digital?
4) Air only or Nitrox capable?
5) Single Gas or multi-gas?
6) Trimix capable ?
7) Which Algorithm? Aggressive? Conservative? Dual Algorithm?
8) Support for Free Dive mode?
9) Integrated watch ?
10) Audio Alarms?
11) User replaceable batteries ?
12) Deep Stops?
13) PC Interface?
14) Price range?

So far we have integrated the computers below in our simulator. You can play with them to have a feeling how they work.

msk_oc_datamask.png
cmp_oc_prodigy.png
cmp_oc_oc1.png
userHome.php
com_aer_xr1.png
com_oce_veo100.png
com_sun_cobra.png
com_mar_mission_puck2.png
com_tus_iq900_zen.png
com_oc_pro_plus2.png
com_oc_veo3.0.png

Alberto (aka eDiver)