What is a dive snob?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is kind of funny, last week my wife asked a friend if she would like to dive with us in San Diego and her response was no thanks " I'm a total dive snob". She said that she only dove in nice warm tropical waters.

If that's the case there must be a whole lot of dive snobs out there !!!
I believe being a dive snob has more to do with your attitude toward others than where you prefer to dive.

I brought this up because the phrase she used although pretty funny, I believe has a deeper meaning to it.

What do you think a dive snob is?

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

To my concern a dive snob isn't someone who's particular about where they'll dive so much as it is who they'll dive with (or more specifically, who they won't dive with) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

She sounds like a snob. Immediately un-friend her, you don't need that negativity in your life. :letsparty: I know a few people like the one your describing. I don't understand it, but to each their own. If would dive in my bathtub if it was big enough.

She sounds like a snob. Immediately un-friend her, you don't need that negativity in your life. :letsparty: I know a few people like the one your describing. I don't understand it, but to each their own. If would dive in my bathtub if it was big enough.

No way, she is a really nice person, me and my wife really like her, its just too bad she doesn't like to dive in our local area, I guess that why she calls her self a dive snob, maybe she should have called herself another name like toasty diver!

Frank G

Bob (Grateful Diver) said it best...a dive snob is very particular about who they dive with, as if diving were separated by country club memberships.

What you describe I learned was called a warm-water wuss; no cold water for them, no how, no way.

I'm sure others can give you additional terms to enjoy and expand your vocabulary.

Bob (Grateful Diver) said it best...a dive snob is very particular about who they dive with, as if diving were separated by country club memberships.

What you describe I learned was called a warm-water wuss; no cold water for them, no how, no way.

I'm sure others can give you additional terms to enjoy and expand your vocabulary.

Warm water wuss, that sounds about right!

A Warm Water Wuss is the, ahem, polar opposite of a Cold Water Barbarian.

A dive snob has an ego problem. :D

Well, the definition of "snob" is: "a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field."

With this in mind, a warm water diver wouldn't be a snob unless she was condescending about it whereas cold water divers who believe themselves above warm water divers would be dive snobs. :p

(I dive both, but mostly warm with 4 dive trips a year.)

Well, the definition of "snob" is: "a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field."

With this in mind, a warm water diver wouldn't be a snob unless she was condescending about it whereas cold water divers who believe themselves above warm water divers would be dive snobs. :p

(I dive both, but mostly warm with 4 dive trips a year.)
I wonder if flat stanely has run into a few snobs?
Frank G

I don't think this girl really has an opinion. I think someone used the term and she not knowing any better applied it to her self. I hope no one told her the open end of the snorkel points down. Or ashe swims in circles from wearing one fin that has R on it and the other with a L.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom