What-If Scenario's, What would YOU do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankc420:
I've never done it, just thought it would be a reasonable choice? :)

When I say 'pinch it' I mean like you would do a water hose..

Or you could use an Apeks freeflow cutoff switch..

hugedodge2000:
vis is about 5-10ft...your buddy is 8 ft away from you with his back turned taking pictures

What is he taking pictures of?

:)

NewFloridaDiver:
Seriously, this makes me rethink the necessity of redundancy in my equipment. I would have thought that one pair of shears and one knife would have been redundant enough. Perhaps not! Maybe one pair of shears, one leg strapped knife and a BC knife? both with line cutter built in. This is one of my fears, getting tangled in netting or monofil line.

Three cutting tools:

- shears on shoulder
- knife on belt
- z-knife on computer wrist strap

ac2059.jpg

Pass on the leg knife.

NewFloridaDiver:
Seriously, this makes me rethink the necessity of redundancy in my equipment. I would have thought that one pair of shears and one knife would have been redundant enough. Perhaps not! Maybe one pair of shears, one leg strapped knife and a BC knife? both with line cutter built in. This is one of my fears, getting tangled in netting or monofil line.

I thought the leg-strapped knife was a good idea until I got my own line for my SMB tangled on it. Then it happened again, then I never used that stupid knife again! I don't think your leg is a good spot for a knife.

Now I keep a knife on my belt, a line cutter on my shoulder strap, and shears in a pocket. I hope that no matter how I'm tangled I can always reach one of them.

I'd start by cutting the lines in my chest area, to free up my arms completely. One those were all nicely shreded up, without wiggling around too much, reach around with my arm trying to cut anything else. cut cut cut until it looks like a plate of spaghetti you've been chopping up with the side of your fork :) Try to keep the little peices in your hand if you can.

I have no idea if thats the best way, I was never taught the specifics of how to do that. But this method worked for me the one time I got caught on a big ball of floaty loose line (by myself at that).

hugedodge2000:
OK I have one, Your 70ft under the lake. Its about 52 degrees and vis is about 5-10ft. Your regulator starts taking in water so you switch to your backup, it is also taking on water. Now your buddy is 8 ft away from you with his back turned taking pictures of a fish. You now have a mouth full of water and your lungs have no air. Do you try to swim for your buddy to get his attention or do you ascend?
What do you mean by the reg 'taking on water'? If there's still air coming through it, mixed with water, you hopefully can still take careful breaths from it using your tongue to keep water from getting in your throat. Usually a problem like this is from the second stage (inverted mushroom valve, or leaky mouthpeice), so going to your backup should solve the problem.
If he's 8ft away thats not bad, especially if he's stopped to take a picture. That's like two strong kicks. If he was further away, and swimming away from your, that would be a different story.

TSandM:
With respect to the wet breathing regs, I've done the exercise of exhaling completely and assuming at that moment that I am OOA. I did a twenty or twenty-five foot swim to an oblivious, photographing buddy, shaken his arm, signalled my problem, and gotten his reg. It wasn't entirely comfortable, but it was entirely doable. In the scenario presented, buddy is WAY better than surface as the next air source.

Alright - how about this scenario - water in second stage for its own reason, no octo in the set up, one fin lost in kicking up effort, left over air in mask just for a mask squeeze, already "inhaled" couple of "water" breaths, air in tip of the lungs, no pony bottle, wet suit, buddy is 20-30 feet below you and going down - all this happens in 15 sec; surface is 30' up and it's not a drill - it's a real experience. Suggestions anyone?

NewFloridaDiverLady:
Alright - how about this scenario - water in second stage for its own reason, no octo in the set up, one fin lost in kicking up effort, left over air in mask just for a mask squeeze, already "inhaled" couple of "water" breaths, air in tip of the lungs, no pony bottle, wet suit, buddy is 20-30 feet below you and going down - all this happens in 15 sec; surface is 30' up and it's not a drill - it's a real experience. Suggestions anyone?

I'm not clear on the 'left over air in mask' part.. however it seems you could tip your head down, stick your tongue up and still breathe if your 2nd is still giving air. Otherwise just push that purge button and free-breathe while you do your ascent.

NewFloridaDiverLady:

Say your prayers. You were dead before you left the house that morning.

Back
Top Bottom