What-If Scenario's, What would YOU do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewFloridaDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm not sure what forum this should go into, so please Mr. Mod, move it where feasable or possibly start a sub-forum because I think this would be a valid forum, Thanks!

I'm curious to see people post various what-if scenarios and then read the varied responses that would likely come from them. Simple, "What would you do if...?"

So I'll start with this scenario; You're diving with a group of new OW divers in a murky quarry or other low-vis (5'-10') place at about 70'. You can see your buddy and a few others but they are hard to see. All of a sudden an errant fin-kick takes your mask away and your 2nd out of your mouth, and hurts bad! Now all of a sudden, you can't see anything, your mask is gone, but you manage to get your 2nd back in your mouth. Now you can't see your buddy, you've probably shot up a bit from kicking.
What would you do?

Put on my backup mask, clear it, and signal to my buddy that I was either OK, or in need of aborting the dive out of medical necessity. If my buddy wasn't aware anything had happened, he'd get a "friendly reminder" about buddy skills on the surface.

Really though, I'd be hesitant to dive with a group of newbies in those conditions. It's too deep, and too dark for inexperienced divers, and a lot could go wrong. Maybe one newbie, but not a group of them... it seems reckless.

I'd would stop and get neutral and wait one minute as prescribed in most OW Training. If my buddy did not appear I would make as slow of an ascent as possible. Top side I would wait for my buddy to discover that I was gone. This scenario should not be a big deal if everyone paid attention during the OW course.

Scottri:
I'd would stop and get neutral and wait one minute as prescribed in most OW Training. If my buddy did not appear I would make as slow of an ascent as possible. Top side I would wait for my buddy to discover that I was gone. This scenario should not be a big deal if everyone paid attention during the OW course.

Took the words right out of my mouth (hands?).

First and foremost make sure I have something to breath out of...then make sure I'm in contact with my buddy by just stopping and waiting (he should be there if it's one of the guys I dive with regularly, if it's an insta-buddy, no telling what he would do..but I wouldn't be diving in low to no viz unless I had a guy I trusted)...if I find him, he will see that I have no mask. Since I don't carry a spare mask, I either need to have him help me find mine of find it myself...if he doesn't then abort the dive (and hope I'm not in salt water and my eyes burn for a day or so)...If I don't find my buddy, make a safe ascent and hope he realizes that I'm missing...but at least I'm getting myself to safety...

Switch to my alternate and do a normal ascent with my buddy.

If your buddy isn't right there for this problem, he won't be there for any other problem either. I'd consider it a cheap and valuable lesson on why it's important to stay close to your buddy.

Terry

go find my
NewFloridaDiver:
I'm not sure what forum this should go into, so please Mr. Mod, move it where feasable or possibly start a sub-forum because I think this would be a valid forum, Thanks!

I'm curious to see people post various what-if scenarios and then read the varied responses that would like come from them. Simple, "What would you do if...?"

So I'll start with this scenario; You're diving with a group of new OW divers in a murky quarry or other low-vis (5'-10') place at about 70'. You can see your buddy and a few others but they are hard to see. All of a sudden an errant fin-kick takes your mask away and your 2nd out of your mouth, and hurts bad! Now all of a sudden, you can't see anything, your mask is gone, but you manage to get your 2nd back in your mouth. Now you can't see your buddy, you've probably shot up a bit from kicking.
What would you do?

For the second part of your question about diving with a group of new divers, that's an entirely different issue.

Being new is one thing. A properly trained new diver may very well be more attentive than someone who's been a bad buddy for the last 50 dives. Being a "group" is quite another. If everybody is your "buddy" then in reality, nobody is your buddy.

You always need to be diving with someone (a particular person) who is responsible for keeping you safe, and you're responsible for them. Anyting else is just a crapshoot.

Terry

Web Monkey:
You always need to be diving with someone (a particular person) who is responsible for keeping you safe, and you're responsible for them. Anyting else is just a crapshoot.

Terry

Agree and disagree...

Agree wholeheartedly with the "need to be diving with someone, a particular person" part. I don't care if you're diving with 100 people, absent a specific agreement with one specific person that he's your buddy - you are diving ALONE.

Disagree vehemently with the "who is responsible for keeping you safe" part. The only person responsible for keeping you safe is YOU. Your buddy should be there to help you out if you get into an unsafe situation/condition. But it is absolutely NOT their job to "keep you safe." I know it sounds like semantics, and of course if a buddy sees you doing something unsafe (exceeding depth limits, ascending too fast, whatever) they should try to help you. But if you think someone ELSE is responsible for keeping you safe, you are basically on a "trust me" dive, and you are now in one of the LEAST safe situations in diving.

[/soapbox]

What scottri said. Or dial 911.

This is all very good info! Thanks for the replies everyone. How about some other scenarios? Anyone up for it? I think this could be a good one to keep you thinking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom