What-If Scenario's, What would YOU do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't fin kick. I would stop finning and put my b/u mask on. Once cleared I would try and locate my buddy, if I still had contact I would continue the dive, but if they were gone I would look for the agreed upon time and then surface normally to reaquire my buddy.

Basically what everyone else said, wait for your buddy and if there not there start the ascent.

One other thing I would do while waiting for my buddy; I would cup my hands over my brow and create an air pocket for my eyes (makeshift frameless mask). This will allow me to look for my mask or my buddy while I wait. I've done this several times and it works well, but requires two hands.

NewFloridaDiver:
I'm not sure what forum this should go into, so please Mr. Mod, move it where feasable or possibly start a sub-forum because I think this would be a valid forum, Thanks!

I'm curious to see people post various what-if scenarios and then read the varied responses that would likely come from them. Simple, "What would you do if...?"

So I'll start with this scenario; You're diving with a group of new OW divers in a murky quarry or other low-vis (5'-10') place at about 70'. You can see your buddy and a few others but they are hard to see. All of a sudden an errant fin-kick takes your mask away and your 2nd out of your mouth, and hurts bad! Now all of a sudden, you can't see anything, your mask is gone, but you manage to get your 2nd back in your mouth. Now you can't see your buddy, you've probably shot up a bit from kicking.
What would you do?

5-10' low vis.I wish w have this vis on every day shore dive in New York

RJP:
Disagree vehemently with the "who is responsible for keeping you safe" part. The only person responsible for keeping you safe is YOU. Your buddy should be there to help you out if you get into an unsafe situation/condition. But it is absolutely NOT their job to "keep you safe." I know it sounds like semantics, and of course if a buddy sees you doing something unsafe (exceeding depth limits, ascending too fast, whatever) they should try to help you. But if you think someone ELSE is responsible for keeping you safe, you are basically on a "trust me" dive, and you are now in one of the LEAST safe situations in diving.

[/soapbox]
I don't mean "keep you safe" like he has a magic transporter and can protect you from all danger, I mean someone who has a second brain to make sure you're not doing anything exceptionally dangerous or dumb, and will generally watch out for you.

For example, when I'm shooting a lift bag, my buddy is right there with his cutter out in case I get tangled in the line. I do the same for him.

I take a glance at his SPG now and then and he does the same to mine, just in case one of us has a brain-fart. The same goes for pretty much everything else involved with SCUBA.

It's always nice to have a backup.

Terry

One other thing I would do while waiting for my buddy; I would cup my hands over my brow and create an air pocket for my eyes (makeshift frameless mask). This will allow me to look for my mask or my buddy while I wait. I've done this several times and it works well, but requires two hands.

Wow! I've heard of doing that but haven't tried it yet. I didn't think it was really possible! Thank you for that tip.

Another scenario: You're at 100 feet, cold water, low viz, diving a single 130, and your primary reg freeflows and you can't get it to stop.

TSandM:
Another scenario: You're at 100 feet, cold water, low viz, diving a single 130, and your primary reg freeflows and you can't get it to stop.
Well 1st I'd grab my octo while I head for my buddy, then I'd grab that freeflowing reg and pinch that hose back on itself to stop it. Sure, It would take both hands to get it there and stopped, but only one to hold it, I think. Then I'd call the dive and head up with my buddy. thoughts?

RJP:
Agree and disagree...: RJP

Agree wholeheartedly with the "need to be diving with someone, a particular person" part. I don't care if you're diving with 100 people, absent a specific agreement with one specific person that he's your buddy - you are diving ALONE.

:) I guess you have to ditch all the OW training - all the parts they say you have to be in visual contact with your BUDDY. 100% agree that you dive alone with 100 people - YOu move your fins, YOU breath your gas, BUT part of SCUBA as a safety entertainment of body and mind - to minimize risks - is to have a BUDDY. And yes - it is an issue of trust, and how you come around to trust someone to be there for when you MIGHT need them, and how much of your problem solving under water includes plan "B" - called "BUDDY" - wasn't it really plan "B"?

I know it sounds like semantics, and of course if a buddy sees you doing something unsafe (exceeding depth limits, ascending too fast, whatever) they should try to help you. But if you think someone ELSE is responsible for keeping you safe, you are basically on a "trust me" dive, and you are now in one of the LEAST safe situations in diving.

One of the key words - and don't care how many dives we will have - is "SAFE" - and statistics read how many pro-s v/s nubies have taken for granted they can do it alone and thay can do it better. And yes, it is sematics - here, at sea level; decsion making and acting down under 70' or 100' has shifted, as you are applying semantics of 3 ATM to 6ATM - and universal laws don't work this way. So here - a BUDDY is someone to keep an eye on you, not to move your fins, not to breath your gas, but someone to make 3 ATM semantics work at 6 ATM to keep you as close as possible to your right surface by-the-book decsion. And you need to have one - as much as you have and trust your octo.Because the same terms you apply to TRUST dive in your scenario apply to the lonely diver - he does do a "TRUST in me only dive" and yes - it is a scary one, safety left aside.

Dry dives!

NewFloridaDiver:
Well 1st I'd grab my octo while I head for my buddy, then I'd grab that freeflowing reg and pinch that hose back on itself to stop it. Sure, It would take both hands to get it there and stopped, but only one to hold it, I think. Then I'd call the dive and head up with my buddy. thoughts?

Sorry about the inadvertant edit on your post, I just put it back the way it was. For some reason the "edit" and "quote" buttons are right next to each other. . . .

If it's a first stage freeflow, pinching the hose will only get you a blown hose. It's rated for 250 PSI and most likely won't be able to hold back the 3000PSI in the tank.

Terry

Web Monkey:
If it's a first stage freeflow, pinching the hose will only get you a blown hose. It's rated for 250 PSI and most likely won't be able to hold back the 3000PSI in the tank.

Terry

I didn't realize a 1st stage could cause a 2nd to freeflow, you mean like allowing more than 140 psi to pass? that would be bad! In that case, off to my buddy I go, or grab my pony and head up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom