What I Like about ABC Agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, there's never any need to bash any agency. Just present the facts. I do partially agree, there would be a lot less need for a forum of this type if PADI didn't exist, but there would still be some questions that need to be answered.

In the padi corse that I touck. I had a grate time and it was intented to teach and have fun.
The sdi corse gave me more info on computers as well as tables.
padi was all tables not much on computers.
Both I learned a lot and am stell.
Rescue next and I think Padi.

daniel f aleman:
It's simply ignorant to bash PADI - without PADI the need for this board never would have existed.
It's ignorant to bash any agency ... it defeats the whole purpose of diving, which is (drum roll please) ...

... recreation ... :D

In any recreational activity there will be those who ...

- are in it for self-excellence ... to the point of obsession
- don't really care whether they are doing it well or not
- make it a competition against everybody else
- rail against the system's perceived inadequacies
- put genuine effort into making it better for others
- just go with the flow ... hey, this is supposed to be fun ... right?

... and a whole raft of other motivations

Fortunately ... in diving ... there is an agency out there for each and every one of these folks.

I've been lucky enough to have trained with about half a dozen of them ... and they ALL have had a positive impact on my diving experiences.

For which I say ... viva la difference !!!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

As usual, you say it perfectly.

I think that the biggest complaint about PADI is that it is a profit making company and necessarily behaves so. Unlike NAUI, say, which is a non-profit run by its instructor membership, of which has dive education as its mandate.

Hmmmm.

Hey...

daniel f aleman:
Bob,

As usual, you say it perfectly.

I think that the biggest complaint about PADI is that it is a profit making company and necessarily behaves so. Unlike NAUI, say, which is a non-profit run by its instructor membership, of which has dive education as its mandate.

Hmmmm.

Hey...

Not at all. Businesses should make a profit. Businesses should not make a profit at the expense of safety. The contention is (agree or disagree) that PADI makes a profit at the expense of safety.

NAUI isn't really a non-profit anymore. As I understand it, they have a non-profit organization that owns a for profit business. That doesn't make sense to me, but apparently it does to the lawyers.

Bob's right, so lets get back to what we like about the agency on our c-card.

YMCA - 1966, fun fun fun
LA County - 1973 Tough but learned
NAUI - 1973 Received the cert along with LAC

Walter:
NAUI isn't really a non-profit anymore. As I understand it, they have a non-profit organization that owns a for profit business. That doesn't make sense to me, but apparently it does to the lawyers.

Well, NAUI International is still run by its instructor membership which receives no monetary renumeration. I believe that NAUI Publishing is the for profit part, with the profits going to NAUI International.

What was the thread topic again? Oh yeah, agency likes:
YMCA - the emphasis on fundamental skills, skin diving/freediving, very thorough.
PADI - the element of fun was always present and safety/skill enhancement was emphasized when I went this route. By the way, with PADI, I have been death-free for 16 years now. Hmmmm, maybe their not dropping like flies?
SDI - Kinda like the computer approach.

Walter:
Not at all. Businesses should make a profit. Businesses should not make a profit at the expense of safety. The contention is (agree or disagree) that PADI makes a profit at the expense of safety.
Well, yes ... but that isn't the "contention" of this thread, which is ... I believe ... what people LIKE about their training agency.

Walt, I understand how you feel about PADI (doesn't everybody?). But that's just not what this thread is supposed to be all about.

Let's let the folks have a happy thread every once in a while ... it's good for the soul ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, yes ... but that isn't the "contention" of this thread, which is ... I believe ... what people LIKE about their training agency.

No, it's not and I wish people would stop bringing it up.

NWGratefulDiver:
I understand how you feel about PADI

Do you know my name?

NWGratefulDiver:
Let's let the folks have a happy thread every once in a while ... it's good for the soul ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sorry, but you're talking to the wrong person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom