What I Like about ABC Agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K:
But... Maybe it's just me, but I think there's just something fundamentally (no pun intended) wrong with a course that fails 85% of its students. Especially one that calls itself "Fundamentals." I admire the high standards; but seems like there's a calibration problem there somewhere.... in their prerequisite criteria, or what they're trying to achieve, or what.

... (etc) ...

--Marek
Actually, they don't "fail" 85% of the class ... in reality, a much lower percentage fails. The "provisional" rating is due to the difference in the way GUE approaches their training ... and doesn't mean you failed so much as it means that you are "in training" ...

The purpose of the class isn't to pass you ... it's to show you the skills you need to work on to achieve that level, and to provide you the methods to develop them. These are typically skills one cannot simply "master" in the course of a few days ... or a few dives. That's why GUE trained divers are often so obsessed with "practice".

My DIR-Fundamentals class certainly didn't end at the conclusion of the week-end ... in many ways, all that class did was set the curriculum. After that, it involved a lot of practice to reach the level that I wanted to reach. When I felt I was ready, I got evaluated ... and passed.

That's how it works for the vast majority. It's not a matter of failure ... GUE's approach is to show you what you need, where you're at currently, and let you "set your own schedule" for achieving the goal. The GUE instructors I know are always ready to continue working with you until you get there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ron Brandt:
When I looked at the post ABC agency I was thing of crossing over. :)

Maybe not a LOL, but at least a smile!

America's Best Certification Agency?

Another Bottom Crawler?

Acme Bubble Creator's?

I´ll give this a shot...and will only mention the positives:

PADI (OW, AOW & Rescue): They introduced me to diving (what can compete with that?).
I also liked the rescue course because its the course that really got me started as a "thinking and aware diver".

ANDI (SafeAir/Nitrox): Good, concise litterature. The best material on gasses, effects on the body of pressure and gas mngmnt/planning.

IANTD (Cavern, Technical Wreck & Trimix): Taught me the survival skills and "mindset" needed for overheads. Also a method for evaluating whether I should do a dive or not. I am a lot more risk-averse now than before these courses which may end up saving my life (perhaps already has)...I can´t think of a better grade than that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom