What I lack in Technique, I make up for in Heart

Has this happened to you or anyone you know?

• Nope. Never.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • No Comment.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes..... but I didn't give up.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • A buddy freaked once.

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I myself haven't had my tough experience yet, but every time my buddy (wife) and we go off a boat she gives the ok and then goes under water immediately. She cannot stand the rolling in the waves.

Another buddy who has been diving for a long time had an experience similar to yours last year. He couldn't breath at about 10 feet, he actually dropped his weight belt. he now has a new wetsuit as his old one had shrunk. hehe

If it isn't comfortable it isn't fun, if it isn't fun I ain't paying this much money. :)

Hi Anonymous,
I am sorry you got off to such as bad start. It is a common complaint that some certificate agencies take out more students than they can cope with and do not spend enough time allowing the students to practice and familiarize themselves with their equipment. Dive safety planning is not always what it could be, I admit I am also guilty of that. We don't always put out flags, dive with a buddy, have a surface standby diver with spare tank of air, or have a supply of oxygen on site. I have also dived when the sea conditions are like a washing machine, the desire to dive overwhelming common sense.
I believe that diving is a sport or pastime that you should do regularly or not at all. For a novice I think it is very difficult to make any progress without diving at least every fortnight. I get a great deal of pleasure out of diving, if you can make the commitment of time and dive regularly, I would advise you to put your bad experience behind you and find a diving club where you can learn at your own pace.

You did good o n calling the dive. Like everyone else I am curious about the one pool session. I am also curious why they feel they have to do openwater certs. in those conditions. The LDS here I use will train you in the pool and then do OWC starting in May but you are allowed to use the pool at any time no charge to stay comfortable.

You also had all the conditions listed in Rescue for a panic. I have had all of those to but at diff. times. NEVER feel bad about calling a dive if you are not comfortable no divemaster that is any good will ever give yu grief.

Get some more pool time to get your confidence back and get equip. that fits and then you will enjoy what the rest of us no about diving.

chuckrt

Man, that's a bad way to get started. I agree with the others. I would be looking for another instructor. Having one pool dive and then take a OW class into those condidtions is nuts. There is a big difference in being a wuss and being a smart diver. Backing out on a dive that you are uncomfortable with for whatever reason or untrained to handle is not wussy, that's smart. Macho divers get themselves and their buddies killed. Myself, I am a confirmed WWW (warm water wussy) if it's less than 60 deg f in the water, I stay on the bank and man the coffee pot.

I see that you are new to this board and if you have not already figured it out, it's alot different than most of the other boards. While some of our "debates" get passionate but they are always civil and polite. Name calling and insults are simply not tolerated here. New divers, or diver want to be's for that matter, are always welcome and encouraged to ask quesations. We can all learn something from each other. So, please come join us with a name and location.

Wow - you did start off a bit rough.. glad to hear though that you're not giving up totally.

How do I make sure this doesn't happen again?
You've identified ill fitting equipment. Ensuring proper fit would be a first step to making sure everything at least has the possibily of going right.

Do you feel you were given adequate instruction (class and pool time)? If not ask for more. I do find it unusuall that you only had one pool session - how long was it?

Do you think there is still hope for me, yet? Am I a wussy now or what?
Yes, no. Anyone having an experience as rough as you would more than likely have doubts.

Is it normal for instructors to take you out in weather like this?
Up here in Canada - not unusual at all.

Should I go back and do it again?
Yes if YOU want to. Make sure you feel that you have sufficient instruction (class & pool), any certifying agency should be willing to give it too you. They all want safe divers.

I'm going to comment on this from a different angle. I see obsurd things like the dive you described on a regular basis. Just this past week-end another instructor droped his class right on top of my class. I had to scramble to prevent people from being hurt, with no help from this jamoke. Once my students were safe, I watched his class. In a matter of min. one of his students panicked and ladder climbed for the surface. The thing is, I saw it comming. The incometant instructor did not see it and did not respond in a constructive manner. There are good instructors and then there are the criminally dangerous. Having an instructor card does not mean you are not an idiot. Don't do anything anyone tells you to do if it does not make sense. Diveing while uncomfortable does not make sense. If you have a concern insist that that concern be addressed to your satisfaction before proceeding. The instructor is working for you not the other way around.

I am an idiot even without my instructor's card... at least that's my wife's opinion of me diving.

I would strongly encourage that you find equipment that you are comfortable with and try it in a pool before going into open water. That includes the wetsuit.

It wasn't entirely clear to me how much you covered in the pool session. It is ok for you to do the first pool session followed by the first open water session. But then you must do more pool work.

Originally posted by NetDoc
I am an idiot even without my instructor's card... at least that's my wife's opinion of me diving.

though tempted as I am to make a comment on this.... I won't I'm sure you do have redeeming qualities.:D

A few points of my own:

1) Diving is an equipment critical sport - if you don't trust your equipment, you will not be able to be a good diver. If it doesn't fit, you will not trust it. And don't dive with gear that you don't trust.

2) Any constriction around your chest, throat, or face may lead to a panic reflex. That will not make you a "wuss". It is a natural reaction by your body.

3) As much as diving is equipment intensive, it is training intensive as well. Drop out of the course and get another if you have to, but get an instructor that you can trust.

4) Do not go back into the course- just to prove something to yourself. That can be a very dangerous attitude because it can stop you from calling a dive off when you should. Dive because you enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it - don't dive.

There is a bright side to this, since you have had a "anxiety" attack - next time you'll recognize that it is coming. At that point, close you eyes, take deep breaths, concentrate on your breating, and you'll start to relax. (At least it works for me.)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom