What happens if you miss flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonka97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK, you look at your ticket, and realize you can't make it to the airport for departure on time. :(

Should you burst into tears? or make a call?:11:

Do you get to reschedule? or have to buy a new one way ticket?

:confused:

I booked a ticket for aFriday and the lady from the agency gave me a ticket for Thursday.......:shakehead....didn't notice the mistake till I got to the airport :( ....had to pay an extra $100 on a $300 ticket.

Here is what I do.

Go to the gate.

They will usually just put you on the next flight.

Once you call and talk too much you will be at the very least paying the 100 dollar change fee.

Now, if you know there is not another flight till the next day...still, go to the gate...security does not look at the flight times but won't let you through if the date is wrong. The people at the gate do not need to know WHY you are late, let them assume it was beyond your control, they will just rebook you. They have special GATE POWERS and rarely call supervisors.

Seriously, I have missed many flights.

The other thing that helps is to just act like you expect them to make it work as opposed to "asking"..this demeanor works much better if you are at the gate as opposed to begging on the phone.

Nope, I don't ever cry, but the kids know *the sign*and they do it very well, has to be timed right, preferably with a large audience. Its the wild, wild west, air travel, lol, they don't call it *the gate* for nothing.

Also, Leesa travelocity is seeking to set themselves apart from other on-line sites by leveraging their volume for their clients by providing customer service and working "these things" out. I don't use travel agencies unless they are getting wholesale prices by buying blocks of seats. Emerson travel on Ward does this for example on SE Asia routes.

Many times "the girl" is about half as smart as you, I'd say. If she is not the owner or a seasoned agent, don't let her touch your travel plans. Vet people...are they in a position to make this right? If the answer is NO...you have other choices.

catherine96821:
Once you call and talk too much you will be at the very least paying the 100 dollar change fee.

Sadly I got "caught" when I checked in my luggage in Vienna - they wouldn't process me till I paid.

IT can also vary greatly at your status with the airline (frequent flier status helps) and how much you paid for the ticket. The cheapest fare generally will cost you more than if you paid full fare (as I have had to for work many times).

justleesa:
Sadly I got "caught" when I checked in my luggage in Vienna - they wouldn't process me till I paid.

Oh, yea, I can see that happening. Thats where you hand the guy on the curb a twenty first, if you can see whats coming. Often I am weighing my odds of trying to facilitate something...lots of people don't want to have to plot that much, but it makes for a game with me. No skycab? A big line inside?...you're screwed.

So...Tonka, you just came home from Bonaire. Did you perhaps...miss your flight?

My experience has been that I usually end up paying the change fee (usually $75-$100 or so) and getting the next flight. I've not had much luck getting them to waive it, although I haven't tried the going-to-the-gate method as Catherine described. Having checked luggage makes that a bit more challenging.

If it was a busy airport, I'd probably do it over the phone to avoid the lines to speak to an agent.

catherine96821:
So...Tonka, you just came home from Bonaire. Did you perhaps...miss your flight?

After I arrived home, I had a stressful nightmare about looking at my ticket, and realizing there was NO WAY to make it on time to Flamingo Airport. :shakehead

Waking up in a sweat, I realized that I really should know how to handle that situation.

Today's flight travel is truly a type of combat!

Thanks for sharing your wisdom/experience!

justleesa:
I booked a ticket for aFriday and the lady from the agency gave me a ticket for Thursday.......:shakehead....didn't notice the mistake till I got to the airport :( ....had to pay an extra $100 on a $300 ticket.

a year ago when i was traveling locally more often than i should, i purchased a jetsetter pass (a book with blank tickets that can fly you anywhere in PI). for some reason, when i called the airline and i have to book my flight back to Manila, they booked me a flight out of Manila instead.

i noticed something was wrong and called them up twice to confirm in the next two days. both agents, obviously not listening to my query, confirmed i got the right details. so i thought since its holy week, they are probably adding special flights.

their error was confirmed when i checked in and found out there was no flight like the one on my ticket.... and there were already 20 chance passengers on the waitlist.

local airline office refused to cooperate, referred me to Manila headquarters. two hours screaming at the phone seemed to work. they bumped off someone and got me into the next flight out.

tried to get the airline to reimburse me for the cost of the ticket, considering the hassle i got through... they did not budge. :blinking: (i still believe it was their fault and i am that kind of customer... :( ). oh well, i finished the entire booklet and junked the said airline. i do not fly with them now.

tonka97:
After I arrived home, I had a stressful nightmare about looking at my ticket, and realizing there was NO WAY to make it on time to Flamingo Airport. :shakehead

Stuck on Bonaire for a week, waiting for the next Continental flight home...... I call that a blessing.

Back
Top Bottom