What happened to the dive clubs?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
i do think it's sad... someone posted a few posts back how we have lost
a sense of community and it's all "buy and sell" relationships that we have
time left for... at the end of the day, there's just no time for community any more

very true and very sad

So true. Speaking as someone who has been barred from a store completey, just because I chose to take a class from another store, IMHO the industry has just become too cuthroat. I think more and more of the, and I hate the word, "real" divers, are seeking out club where they can get together on their own terms. Without dive shop politics getting in the way.

One sad note is that what I have seen locally is that a number of the so called "dive clubs" are nothing more than "Dive Shop Clubs".

James

Most people like to discuss SCUBA diving but won't take the time out of "hectic and time strained" lifestyles to join a dive club. One of the things I've heard about really enjoying SCUBA diving is that you need to relax. It's really sad that people can't find the time to organize dives and local get-togethers and perhaps show others what it really means to enjoy a sport. Instead people argue and complain about Dive schools (the great PADI vs. NAUI vs. SSI etc.) and why the other person's gear sux. YET everyone it seems has forgoten what it was like when we first dove.

I remember the first real dive I ever did. I skin dove when I was a kid much like others out there. Only a few seconds to even see the reefs and then you raced to the surface to catch some more air. Straping on that tank and cumbersome gear felt akward on the boat. I remember falling on my butt a few times trying to get a bottle of water out of the ice chest on the way to the site. But as soon as I got into the water I was home. When you SCUBA dive you gluide and are relaxed, as opposed to skin diving where I had to drop to the depth then race against my lungs.

Diving so far has been the best thing that has ever happened to me (I pray that my girlfriend isn't reading this). I've seen people spend 6 figures on SCUBA diving and then get bored and quit. Diving isn'meant to be an extreme adrenaline sport that generation next craves. Recreational SCUBA diving is meant to be just like chilling out in a hammock, a smooth motion with your body and you move while watching the clouds go by. We will see things that people who have never strapped on a tank dream about. Pictures and video just serve as a reminder to us, we've seen that fish gluide underwater, the shrimp scurry over the coral and the beauty of what a living ecosystem that natural is free from human beings looks like.

People online have complained about buying dive gear and then finding out that it wasn't right for them when it was too late and the wallet was lighter, because they listened to the advice of paid professionals who tried the gear when it was still brand new and hadn't broken in yet. (Sorry for the rant there folks).

We as divers will see things that no one has seen before. We should share our experiences with others and bring our knowledge so others can enjoy diving more.

Dive clubs are a great idea if people will just get together and actually support diving. I'd hate to be considering SCUBA diving with other activities and see that people aren't as social as other sports and recreations. Diving is expensive but compared to what I've spent in the past on other activities like backpacking, hunting, competitive shootin and fishing...I've only spent a small percentage in comparison (that's why I'm trying to find multiple uses for something). I've heard from several non-diving friends that people who SCUBA dive must be snooty and rich. Then they look at my jeep. LOL

Sorry for wasting people's time if they take nothing from this thread.
We all should support the LDS and I feel they should support dive clubs. How could they loose money? If I was new to diving and heard that dive shop supported the club that seemed so great to me, I'd atleast get my air fills from them as well as accesories I needed time to time.

Or you can certainly pm me off road... If slider isn't available to dive sometimes I am. Although you'll usually find us out at lochlowminn diving together since he is my brother and my part time dive buddy... We always have room for one more to dive... :)

I'll definitely ditch, I mean leave my girlfriend home so she can pamper herself and meet up with you guys sometime. Right now I'm trying to do some research and I'm contacting historical societies and trying to find submerged items such as buildings and entire towns. Plus I'm trying to save up and buy some gear (tired of having to rent my gear)
BTW feel free to IM me at offroaddiver on yahoo

I would think internet message boards have taken over the roles of alot of Dive Clubs. People organize group dives here, discuss gear(you can misled on gear online or in person), discuss diving techniques, ect.

There's a slight difference in talking online(dial-up sucks) and talking in person. But I am just gonna start hitting dive sites and hang out there if need be.

You miss understood me. The internet can be used to group a bunch of folks together(in form of a meet-n-greet) to talk in person. Its alot easier to get everyones $.02 on scheduling for maximum attendance online, than it is to meet on a few individuals schedules.

Use the internet to gather people together at a designated meeting spot, then you have a group with similar interests talking in person.

k, I did mistake what ya wrote. I'm gonna put some time and effort into a meet and great before too long. May just go ahead and start a club.

You guys up for a dive at Loch Low Minn on Sunday? PM me if interested. Maybe we'll start a little easter TN scubaboard dive club

I'd love too but if thing go right I won't be in 3 hours of TN sunday and for the following two weekends. In a month...I should have time and money to do it. We will have to join or create a new club. Maybe just a ScubaBoard meet and greet. I will probably do a weekend of diving sometime soon, preferably when It's not a heat index of a 100 degrees outside. If interested email me @ offroaddiver@yahoo.com I'll see if I can try and organize it. I think Loch Low Minn would probably be the best location since there is on site camping and hotels nearby if people need to spend the night in order to attend.
I'll see what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom